Group Coverage Highlights:
- Resident pays no premium for this coverage while in training.
- Plan is offered by the Standard Insurance Company, AM Best A rated company.
- Monthly disability benefits payable beginning the 91st day of disability.
- Benefit period to age 65.
- Monthly benefit levels:
PGY I & II $3,000
PGY III & IV $3,500
PGY V & above $4,000
- Group-to-individual conversion policy (and increase in coverage) offered to residents completing their CU GME training program.*
Conversion Policy Features:
- True "specialty
specific" definition of disability. Tax free benefits payable if unable to perform specialty, even if working in another occupation.
- $5,000/month or $2,500/month individual tax-free benefit with up to additional
$10,000 per month benefit based on financial qualification.
- Guaranteed issue. No lengthy application or medical exam.*
- Substantial premium discount exclusively for GME Residents and
Fellows. Up to 50% reduction in rates.
- Partial/residual disability
benefits. Benefit proportional to income loss due to illness or injury.
- Benefits payable to age 67 and premium remains constant to age 67.
- Annual cost of living adjustments while disabled.
- Optional catastrophic benefit up to an additional $10,000 per month.
- Optional student loan rider up to an additional $2,000 per month.
- This benefit may be combined with and will not be reduced by typical,
employer-sponsored, group disability plans.
Optional In-Program Plan: It may be possible to obtain a guaranteed issue plan for $1,500/month coverage during training.
be aware that if you choose to apply or have applied for coverage outside of
the GME disability program in the past 7 years and that coverage has been
postponed or declined by the carrier you will be ineligible to participate in the GME
disability conversion program. A 3/12 pre-existing condition provision applies. Dental Residents are not eligible for the conversion or optional in-program plan.
For further information on the conversion policy or in-program plan, contact your GBS representatives: Lynn A. Johnson, ChFC, CLU at 805-750-8438 and Don Bloomfield at 303-889-2656. These are the only representatives authorized by the insurance carrier and GME to provide this conversion product.
The GME group long-term disability policy is
administered by Gallagher Benefit
Services (GBS) a professional brokerage/benefits consultation firm
under contract with GME. Lynn Johnson is well-versed on the
intricacies of the conversion policy. She is available to
answer your questions, to compare this policy and outside policies, and to determine how to
best serve the needs of the residents, whether during residency, or at program
completion. A resident considering any long term disability product is
encouraged to speak with Lynn before purchasing individual coverage. Outside individual coverage may affect the amount of the guaranteed-issue
policy for which you may be eligible.
Note: This represents highlights for information
purposes only. The Master Contract contains all of the controlling provisions
of this coverage.