Group Coverage Highlights:
- Resident pays no premium for this coverage while in training.
- Plan is offered by the Standard Insurance Company, AM Best A rated company.
- Monthly disability benefits payable beginning the 91st day of disability.
- Benefits generally are payable to age 65 as long as you remain disabled.
- Monthly benefit levels:
PGY I & II $3,000
PGY III & IV $3,500
PGY V & above $4,000
- Guaranteed issue (no medical exam, tests, etc.) group-to-individual conversion policy (and increase in coverage) offered to residents nearing completion of their CU GME training program.*
Conversion Policy Features:
- True "specialty
specific" definition of disability. Tax free benefits payable if unable to perform specialty, even if working in another occupation.
- Up to $5,000/month individual tax-free benefit, plus an additional
$10,000 per month benefit based on financial qualification.
- Guaranteed issue. No lengthy application, medical exam,
health or activity questions. No pre-existing conditions.*
- Substantial premium discount exclusively for GME Residents and
Fellows. Up to 50% reduction in rates.
- Partial/residual disability
benefits. Benefit proportional to income loss due to illness or injury.
- Benefits payable to age 67.
- Premium remains constant to age 67.
- Annual cost of living adjustments while disabled.
- Optional catastrophic benefit up to an additional $8,000 per month.
- Special HIV coverage provision.
- One of only a few residency training programs in the nation to
provide this type of benefit.
- May be combined with and will not be reduced by typical,
employer-sponsored, group disability plans.
be aware that if you choose to apply or have applied for coverage outside of
the GME disability program in the past 7 years and that coverage has been
postponed or declined by the carrier you will be ineligible to participate in the GME
disability conversion program.
Optional Starter Plan: It is possible to obtain a guaranteed issue starter plan during residency for $1,000 or $2,000/month coverage that could assure the balance of the above conversion policy as resident nears completion of training program.
For further information on the starter plan or conversion policy, contact your GBS representatives. Your GBS representatives are Lynn A. Johnson, ChFC, CLU at 1-805-750-8438 and Don Bloomfield at 303-889-2656. These are the only representatives authorized by the insurance carrier and GME to provide this conversion product.
The GME long-term disability policy is
administered by Gallagher Benefit
Services (GBS) a professional brokerage/benefits consultation firm
under contract with GME. The GBS representative is completely versed on the
intricacies of the CU GME group and conversion policies; and is available to
answer your questions, compare this policy and outside policies, and see how to
best serve the needs of the residents, whether during residency, or at program
completion. A resident considering any long term disability product is
encouraged to take advantage of this service before purchasing outside
coverage. Outside coverage will decrease the amount of the guaranteed-issue
policy for which you may be eligible.
Note: This represents highlights for information
purposes only. The Master Contract contains all of the controlling provisions
of this coverage.