- Demonstrate the ability to conduct a psychiatric evaluation,
including a detailed mental status examination, and use of appropriate
- Develop interviewing skills including appropriately using
open-ended vs. closed-ended questions and attending carefully to patient
presentation and non-verbal cues.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish an alliance with
patients and families, showing comfort in exploring psychiatric symptoms and
- Demonstrate an openness, sensitivity, respect, caring and
tolerance toward patients, family, and health care team members, while
upholding the primacy of patient needs and welfare.
- Utilize effective techniques to obtain relevant and
sensitive historical information.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize information gathered from
the psychiatric interview, the medical chart, collateral history and other
sources, to (a) craft a case formulation using the biopsychosocial model, (b)
develop a differential diagnosis, organizing from most to least supported by the
data, and (c) explain choice of diagnosis and reasoning for considering and
rejecting alternate diagnoses.
- Utilizing their case formulations, demonstrate the ability
to develop a plan for continued assessment and treatment, while applying
established and emerging biomedical knowledge to the care of patients.
- Deliver oral presentations in the team setting that are
organized, accurate, complete and concise.
- Document written communications in the health record in an
organized, accurate, complete, concise and timely manner.
- Demonstrate effective communication with members of the
healthcare team and collaborate effectively with multi-disciplinary health care
team members to improve patient care.
- For the common psychiatric problems listed below,
demonstrate knowledge of their common presentation, associated symptoms,
clinical course, basic biologic mechanisms and their basic treatment plans.
- Enrich prior knowledge in psychiatry through outside
reading, searching the literature and other self-directed learning experiences.
- Demonstrate professional growth through response to feedback
and asking for help when needed.
- Developing the capacity for critical reflection.