The Board of Directors of the American Medical Association (AMA) Foundation has named Jennifer Adams, MD as a recipient of the 2017 Excellence in Medicine Awards. The awards honor physicians who represent the values of altruism, compassion and dedication to patient care.
Dr. Adams will be honored during an awards ceremony at the American Medical Association’s Annual Meeting on June 9, 2017. The AMA Foundation will be granting $2,500 to the School of Medicine. Dr. Adams is a member of the Division of General Internal Medicine in the Department of Medicine, Director of the Denver Health Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship, and a member of the Academy of Medical Educators.
3rd Annual Research-Intensive Junior Faculty Retreat to be Held Friday June 2, 2017 in Krugman Hall
By Arthur Gutierrez-Hartmann
This year’s Junior Faculty Retreat will focus on key aspects of departmental and university-wide promotions and tenure issues. It will also include mock promotions review forums at the event’s conclusion. The decision to focus on this area was in response to the Climate Survey and consistent feedback received from previous retreats.
Congratulations to the New Members of the Academy of Medical Educators
The Academy of Medical Educators recently welcomed new members, chosen for their excellence in education and their commitment to the mission of the Academy.
- Jennifer Whitfield Bellows, MD, MPH, Emergency Medicine
- Maryam Guiahi, MD, MSc, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Christine E. Waasdorp Hurtado, MD, MSCS, FAAP, Pediatrics
- Jay Lemery, MD, Emergency Medicine
- Mark R. Nehler, MD, Surgery
- Prem S. Subramanian, MD, PhD, Ophthalmology
- Molly E.W. Thiessen, MD, Emergency Medicine
- Eric Young, MD, Medicine
Small Grants Program Recipients Announced
The Academy of Medical Educators recently provided five small grants that support efforts to create, implement and evaluate innovative medical education programs. Grant funding is provided through the generous support of The Rymer Family Endowment, The Office of Faculty Affairs and The Academy of Medical Educators.
Congratulations to the recipients:
- Debnath Chatterjee, MD – Pediatric Anesthesia "Just-in Time" Training Using Video Podcasts ($2,000)
- Janet Corral, PhD – Just-in-Time Coaching System to Maintain High Quality Teaching in Small Groups in the MD Program ($4,880)
- Michael Kriss, MD; Ruhail Kohli, MD – Simulation-based Training of Balloon-Tamponade Tube Placement for the Treatment of Variceal Hemorrhage: Utilization of a Mastery Learning Model for Low Volume Procedural Training ($2,317.48)
- Danielle Royer, PhD (Co-PIs: Janet Corral and Maureen Stabio) – A Framework for Mobile App Appraisal for Use in Health Professions Learning ($1,420)
- Scott A. Simpson, MD, MPH; Melanie Rylander, MD – Video-based curriculum for teaching verbal de-escalation and personal safety skills ($3,474.88)