Awards are given annually to faculty for excellence in medical education. Awardees are nominated by students, residents, fellows, faculty, and peers and need not be Academy members in order to receive these awards. The Academy hopes to acknowledge those faculty (both full-time and volunteer) who have worked to improve education in any of the following categories:
- Excellence in Direct Teaching (clinical, non-clinical or both)
nominate those faculty who you believe are truly excellent teachers. We are especially interested in nominations of faculty who are gifted teachers, but because they reach only a few learners each year, may never be nominated for or win the usual teaching awards.
- Excellence in Curriculum Development or Educational Innovation
nominate those faculty who have developed outstanding courses and curricula or innovative educational programs that helped you or others to learn.
- Excellence in Educational Administration or Leadership
nominate course directors, clerkship directors, program directors, deans, administrative staff, or others in leadership positions whose educational vision, commitment or caring have made a real difference in the SOM.
- Excellence in Research or Scholarship in Education
nominate faculty who are studying why we teach what we teach, whether it works, and what we can do to improve our educational programs.
- Excellence in Mentoring and Advising
nominate those faculty who have truly made a difference in your life through advising or mentoring. Mentoring and advising can occur in the lab, clinic, office or other setting.
Please submit your nominations by completing the nomination form by May 2, 2016. If you have any questions please email SOM.Academy@ucdenver.edu
The nomination form includes the following:
- Name and Department of Nominee
- Name of Nominator(s)
- Category of Nomination (see above)
- Statement of support: Describe the educational excellence demonstrated by this nominee. Provide details of their behavior or skills, as well as the impact of their work on learners, programs, CU or the field of education.
Winners are chosen based on the quality of the impact/interaction described. Nominees need not impact large numbers of trainees to win this award.