The University of Colorado School of Medicine opened in September, 1883 and graduated its first class of two students after two years of training in 1885. In 1919 the State Legislature established the University of Colorado Health Science Center and authorized the construction of the Colorado Psychiatric Hospital. In 1923 the psychiatry training program in psychiatry was created by an act of the Colorado Legislature to "train physicians in the art and science of neuropsychiatry and to treat citizens who suffer from mental disease".
The Colorado Psychiatric Hospital was created in 1919 in order to serve as the laboratory for the study, research and treatment of psychopathology. The chairman of the Department of Psychiatry served as superintendent for the Colorado Psychiatric Hospital (CPH). Seventy-three years later, on July 1, 2002, the Colorado Psychiatric Hospital formally became part of the University of Colorado Hospital.
When the Colorado Psychiatric Hospital opened in 1925, it offered one of the first psychiatric residency programs in the United States with a planned curriculum of formal courses and supervised clinical assignments. Over twenty chairman of departments of psychiatry, four presidents of the American Psychiatric Association, and two directors of the National Institute of Mental Health have come from the University of Colorado Program.
As one of the largest departments of psychiatry in the United States, there are now over 150 regular faculty and more than 300 clinical faculty members. The department maintains training programs in psychiatry, psychology, and social work at the predoctoral and postdoctoral levels.
Dr. Robert Freedman has led the department of psychiatry as chairman since December of 2000. His professional experience includes research in the molecular neurobiology of schizophrenia, clinical practice, and the editorship of the American Journal of Psychiatry.
The move to Anschutz Medical Campus, formerly Fitzsimons Army Medical Hospital.
In 1995, the Fitzsimons Army Medical Center was officially put on the Base Realignment and Closure list. Officials from Health Sciences Center, University of Colorado Hospital and the City of Aurora presented a proposal to build — from the ground up — a world-class, academic health center, including state-of-the-art health care facilities. In addition, the campus is directly adjacent to the Colorado Science and Technology Park at Fitzsimons, providing opportunities to take university research discoveries into the stream of commerce at an accelerated rate, through affiliation with the biotech companies in the 160-acre development.
In 1999, construction of the new facilities began. In June of 2007, the University of Colorado Hospital completed its move to the new campus, which became known as the Anschutz Medical Campus, in recognition of the support given by the Anschutz Foundation.
The Children's Hospital completed its move to its new facility at the Anschutz Medical Campus in October 2007.
The Department of Psychiatry and its training programs completed the move to the new campus in the August, 2008.
More information can be found at http://ucdenver.edu/about/denver/Pages/AnschutzMedicalCampus.aspx