ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS, AND HONORS
Positions and Employment:
Associate Medical Director, Colorado Physicians Health Program, Denver, CO, 2004-present
Subject Matter Expert and Psychological Health Portfolio Manager, Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center, U.S. Army Medical Research and Material Command, Fort Detrick, MD, 2007-present
Associate Professor, Psychiatry, Centers for American Indian and Alaska Native Health, University of Colorado, Denver, CO, 2008-present
Domain Lead, Native Veteran Programs, Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Rural Veterans Rural Health Resource Center_Western Region Veterans, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2008-present
Other Experience and Professional Memberships:
Executive Committee Member, Four Corners Telehealth Consortium, 2005-present
Member, The American Telemedicine Association, 2000-present [Vice-Chair Telemental Health SIG (2008-2010), Board of Directors (2008-2010)]
SCHOLARSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
1. Sakai J, Kim M, Shore J, Hepfer M. The risk of purified protein derivative positivity in homeless men with psychotic symptoms. Southern Medical Journal. 1998; 91(4), 345-348.
2. Buzan R, Shore JH, O’Brien C, Schneck C. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Tourette’s Syndrome. Current Treatment Options in Neurology. 2000; 2,125-139.
3. Shore J, Manson SM, Buchwald D. Screening for alcohol abuse among urban Native Americans in a primary care setting. Psychiatric Services 2002; 53(6),757-760.
4. Shore JH, Spicer P. A model for alcohol-mediated violence in an Australian Aboriginal community. Social Science and Medicine. 2004; 58(12), 2509-2521.
5. Shore JH, Manson SM. The American Indian veteran and post-traumatic stress disorder: a telehealth assessment and formulation. Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry. 2004; 18, 231-243.
6. Shore JH, Manson SM. Telepsychiatric care of American Indian veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder: bridging gaps in geography, organizations, and culture. Telemedicine Journal (now Telemedicine and E-Health). 2004; 10 (Supplement 2), 64-69.
7. Shore JH, Manson SM. A developmental model for rural telepsychiatry. Psychiatric Services. 2005; 56(8), 976-980.
8. Sakai J, Ho M, Shore J, Risk NK, Price RT. Asians in the United States: substance dependence and use of substance-dependence treatment. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2005; 29, 75-84.
9. Shore JH, Beals J, Orton H, Buchwald D. Comorbidity of alcohol abuse and dependence with self-reported medical conditions in two American Indian reservation communities. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2006; 30 (4), 649-655.
10. Shore JH, Savin D, Novins DK, Manson S. Cultural aspects of telepsychiatric care. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. 2006; 12,166-121.
11. Shore JH, Savin D, Orton H, Beals J, Manson S. Diagnostic reliability of telepsychiatry in American Indian veterans. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2007; 164, 115-118.
12. Jervis L, Shore JH, Hutt E, Manson S. Suboptimal pharmacotherapy in a tribal nursing home. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2007; 8(1), 1-7.
13. Shore JH, Brooks E, Savin D, Manson S, Libby A. An economic evaluation of telehealth and in-person data collection with rural and frontier populations: structured clinical interviews with reservation-based American Indians. Psychiatric Services. 2007; 58 (6), 830-835.
14. Shore JH, Hilty DM, Yellowlees P. Emergency guidelines for telepsychiatry. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2007; 29, 199-206.
15. Plomondon ME, Ho M, Wang L, Greiner G, Shore JH, Sakai JT, Fihn SD, Rumsfeld JS. Severe mental illness and mortality following hospitalization for ACS patients in the VHA. BMC Health Services Research. 2007; 7 (146), 1-24.
16. Manguno-Mire GM, Thompson JW, Shore JH, Croy C, Artecona JF, Pickering JW. The use of telemedicine to evaluate legal competence: a preliminary randomized controlled study. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and Law. 2007; 35 (4), 481-489.
17. Yellowlees P, Burke M, Marks S, Hilty DM, Shore JH. Emergency telepsychiatry: past experiences and future directions. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. 2008; 14(6), 277-81.
18. Yellowlees P, Marks S, Hilty DM, Shore JH. Using E-Health to enable culturally appropriate mental health care in rural areas. Telemedicine and E-Health. 2008; 14(5), 486-92.
19. Shore JH, Brooks E, Savin D, Orton H, Grigsby J, Manson SM. Acceptability of telepsychiatry in American Indian veterans. Telemedicine and E-Health. 2008; 14(5), 461-6.
20. Shore JH, Bloom JD, Manson SM, Whitener RJ. Telepsychiatry with rural American Indians: issues in civil commitments. Behavioral Sciences and the Law. 2008;26(3), 287-300.
21. Shore JH, Orton H, Manson S. Trauma-related Nightmares among American Indian Veterans: Views from the Dream Catcher. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research: The Journal of the National Center. 2009: 16 (1), 25-38.
22. Stuyt EB, Gunderson DC, Shore JH, Brooks EB, Gendel MH. Tobacco Use by Physicians in a Physician Health Program, Implications for Treatment and Monitoring. The American Journal on Addictions. 2009: 18(2), 103-108.
23. Dausch B, Miklowitz D, Adler L, Nagamoto H, and Shore JH. Tele-FFT”; A Case Report of Family Focused Therapy (FFT) Over Live Interactive Videoconferencing. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. 2009; 15(4):211-4.
24. Yellowlees P, Shore J, Roberts L. Practice Guidelines for Videoconferencing-Based Telemental Health. American Telemedicine Association. October 2009.
25. Carroll M, James JA, Lardiere MR, Proser M, Rhee K, Sayre MH, Shore JH, Ternullo. Innovation Networks for Improving Access and Quality Across the Healthcare Ecosystem. Telemedicine and e-Health. January/February 2010, 16(1): 107-111.
26. Morland LA, Greene CJ, Rosen CS, Foy D, Reilly P, Shore J, He Q, Frueh BC. Telemedicine for anger management therapy in a rural population of combat veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: a randomized noninferiority trial. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2010, January 26 epub ahead of print.
Grants and Contracts:
Dr. Shore currently serves as a PI and co-investigator as well as having been the past recipient of a number of competitive grants funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, National Institutes of Health and other federal agencies.