Positions and Honors
Positions and Employment
1986-1987 Community Medicine Internship, Psychiatry, University of CO Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO
1987-1990 Resident, Psychiatry, University of CO Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO
1990-1991 Career Psychiatrist, Mental Health Institute of Pueblo, Pueblo, CO
1991-2001 Private Practice, Denver, CO
2001-2004 Senior Instructor, University of CO Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO
2004-2008 Inpatient Director, University of CO, Psychiatry Department, Denver, CO
2004- Assistant Professor, University of CO School of Medicine, Denver, CO
2008-2009 Chief Medical Officer, University of CO Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Aurora, CO
2008- Director, Women’s Treatment and Studies, Depression Center, UCDHSC, Denver, CO
1982 Phi Gamma Mu, National Honor Society, Colorado Epsilon Chapter
1996 Distinguished Service in the Mental Health Field, Managed Beh. Healthcare Interest Group
2000 Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
2004, 2008 Jay Scully, M.D. Award for Distinguished Teacher, Psychiatric Residency
2006 Far Beyond the Ordinary World Class Care Award, Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
2009 Irma Bland Award for Teaching presented by the American Psychiatric Association
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
1. Goldberg JF, Allen MH, Miklowitz DA, Bowden CL, Endick, CJ, Chessick CA, et al. Suicidal ideation and pharmacotherapy among STEP-BD patients. Psychiatr Serv. Dec 2005;56(12):1534-1540.
2. Allen MH, Chessick CA. Instability of symptoms in recurrent major depression. Am J Psychiatry. Feb 2005;162(2):403; author reply 403-404.
3. Allen MH, Chessick CA, Miklowitz DJ, et al. Contributors to suicidal ideation among bipolar patients with and without a history of suicide attempts. Suicide Life Threat Behav. Dec 2005;35(6):671-680.
4. Bauer MS, Wisniewski SR, Marangell LB, Chessick CA, et al. Are antidepressants associated with new-onset suicidality in bipolar disorder? A prospective study of participants in the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD). J Clin Psychiatry. Jan 2006;67(1):48-55.
5. Marangell LB, Bauer MS, Dennehy EB, Chessick CA, et al. Prospective predictors of suicide and suicide attempts in 1,556 patients with bipolar disorders followed for up to 2 years. Bipolar Disord. Oct 2006;8(5 Pt 2):566-575.
6. Chessick CA, Allen MH, Thase M, et al. Azapirones for generalized anxiety disorder. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;3:CD006115.
7. Chessick CA, Perlick DA, Miklowitz DJ, et al. Current suicide ideation and prior suicide attempts of bipolar patients as influences on caregiver burden. Suicide Life Threat Behav. Aug 2007;37(4):482-491.
8. Perlick DA, Rosenheck RA, Miklowitz DJ, Chessick CA, et al. Prevalence and correlates of burden among caregivers of patients with bipolar disorder enrolled in the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disord. May 2007;9(3):262-273.
9. Chessick CA. The Potential Role of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy in an Emergency Setting. Psychiatric Issues in Emergency Care Settings. June 2008;7(2):12-21.
10. Chessick CA. Clinical Case Presentations: Dialectical Behavioral Therapy in Acute Care Settings. Psychiatric Issues in Emergency Care Settings. June 2008;7(2):22-24.
11. Ostacher MJ, Nierenberg AA, Iosifescu DV, Eidelman P, Lund HG,
12. Ametrano RM, Kaczynski R, Calabrese J, Miklowitz DJ, Sachs GS,
13. Perlick DA, the STEP-BD Family Experience Collaborative Study Group (Chessick CA). Correlates of subjective and objective burden among caregivers of patients with bipolar disorder. Acata Psychiatr Scand. 2008;118:49-56.
14. .Perlick DA, Rosenheck RA, Miklowitz DJ, Kaczynski R, Link B, Ketter T, Wisniewski S, Wolff N, Sachs G, and the STEP-BD Family Experience Collaborative Study Group (Chessick CA). Caregiver Burden and Health in Bipolar Disorder, A Cluster Analytic Approach. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2008;196:484-491
15. Chessick CA, Perlick DA, Miklowitz, DJ, Dickinson LM, Allen MH, Morris CD, Gonzalez JM, Marangell LB, Cosgrove V, Ostacher M and the STEP-BD Family Experience Collaborative Study Group. Suicidal Ideation and Depressive symptoms Among Bipolar Patients as Predictors of the Health and Well-being of Caregivers
Ongoing Research Support
DSP D1050235 2009-present
A Randomized, 6-Week, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Flexible-Dose, Parallel-Group Study of Lurasidone Adjective to Lithium or Divalproex in the Treatment of Bipolar I Depression. Dr. Chessick is a co-investigator.
DSP D1050236 2009-present
A Randomized, 6- Week, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Fixed Flexible Does, Parallel-Group Study of Lurasidone for the Treatment of Bipolar I Depression. Dr. Chessick is a sub-investigator.
DSP D1050256 2009-present
A 24-Week, Flexible-Dose, Open-Label Extension Study of Lurasidone for the Treatment of Bipolar I Depression. Dr. Chessick is a sub-investigator.
Wyeth 3151A1-3360-WW 2009-pesent
A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Withdrawal, Parallel Group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of 50 mg/day of DVS SR in Adult Outpatients With Major Depressive Disorder. Dr. Chessick is a sub-investigator.
Wyeth 3151A1-3362-US 2009-present
A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of 2 Fixed Doses (10 and 50 mg/day) of DVS SR Tablets in Adult Outpatients With Major Depressive Disorder. Dr. Chessick is a sub-investigator.
Completed Research Support
Bristol-Meyers Squibb 2005-2007
A Multicenter, Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study of Aripiprazole Monotherapy in the Treatment of Acutely Manic Patients with Bipolar I Disorder. This is a multi-site trial and the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center is one site. Dr. Chessick is a sub-investigator.
AstraZeneca 5077IL/0089 2003-2007
A multicenter, open-label, flexible-dose, parallel-group evaluation of the cataractogenic potential of Quetiapine fumarate (SEROQUEL) and risperidone (RISPERDAL) in the long-term treatment of subjects with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder
This is a multi-site trial and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center was one site. Dr. Chessick is a sub-investigator.
National Institute of Mental Health Sponsored Symposium 2006
Career Development Institute for developing a research career in Bipolar Disorder
Boca Raton, Florida, Dr. Chessick is a selected participant.
Lilly F1D-MC-HGJZ 2005
A Double Blind Randomized Study Comparing Intramuscular Olanzapine Depot With Placebo in the Treatment of Patients With Schizophrenia. Dr. Chessick is a sub-investigator.