When applying to the University of Colorado Pediatric Residency Program, please consider the following requirements:
- We are a very competitive program and receive over 1,200 applications each year.
- We only accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
- Please do not mail, e-mail, or fax any applications
- Your ERAS application must include the following minimum requirements:
- Dean's Letter or MSPE
- Medical School Transcript
- Personal Statement
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation – letters from pediatric faculty are preferred
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step I Scores
- Successful scores on both components of USMLE Step II are required by the mid-point of the intern (PL1) year, but not to apply or interview for a position.
- COMLEX scores are not accepted.
- October 31 is our application deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered if received after this date.
program code for the Categorical Pediatrics program is 1076320C0
The program code for the Combined Pediatrics/Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation program is 1076735C0.
Interviews are typically held on Thursdays and Fridays, beginning in mid-October, and continue through the end of January. We limit the number of candidates per day to provide a more personal experience.
Evening social events are scheduled at a local restaurant during interview season. This is an opportunity for candidates to meet with residents outside the hospital in a casual setting. Details will be sent to you once your interview date is scheduled. Please plan on attending this event and plan your travel accordingly.
Physician-Scientist Interview Days
We have three interview opportunities more specifically geared toward physician-scientists. On November 20 and December 11, 2014, and January 8, 2015, applicants interested in a career that involves basic science or translational research will meet with research faculty during the afternoon of the interview day.
Please advise us that you are interested in this opportunity to explore the exciting research taking place at Children’s Colorado and the University of Colorado.
The Diversity in Pediatrics Committee hosts informal dinners designed to provide applicants from diverse backgrounds with an opportunity to meet with some of the faculty and resident members of our committee. This is a great time to learn more about life in the Denver area and to ask any questions you might have about the program or city. This recruitment season our dinners will be held on November 13, December 11, December 18 and January 15. If you are interested in attending a dinner or obtaining more information please email us at DIPC@childrenscolorado.org
. Significant others are welcome to attend.
All applicants from international medical schools must meet the minimum requirements listed above. Additionally:
- To be seriously considered, we expect international medical graduates to have an exceptional academic record and have prior clinical experience at an accredited US or Canadian medical center.
- In most cases they will have completed at least 4 months of hands-on clinical training in the US, preferably involving inpatient pediatrics.
- International applicants should be ECFMG certified by November 1, 2014.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent spoken and written English and the ability to work in a modern, high complexity medical center.
- Letters of recommendation must be from attending physicians who have supervised the applicant in a clinical setting, and are especially useful if they are from pediatric physicians who have themselves had experience in the US.