When applying to the University of Colorado Pediatric Residency Program, please consider the following requirements:
- We are a very competitive program and receive over 1,200 applications each year.
- We only accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
- Please do not mail, e-mail, or fax any applications
- Your ERAS application must include the following minimum requirements:
- Dean's Letter or MSPE
- Medical School Transcript
- Personal Statement
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation – letters from pediatric faculty are preferred
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step I Scores
- Successful scores on both components of USMLE Step II are required by the mid-point of the intern (PL1) year, but not to apply or interview for a position.
- COMLEX scores are not accepted.
- November 1 is our application deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered if received after this date.
program code for the Categorical Pediatrics program is 1076320C0
The program code for the Combined Pediatrics/Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation program is 1076735C0.
Interviews are typically held on Thursdays and Fridays, beginning in mid-September, and continue through the end of January. We limit the number of candidates per day to provide a more personal experience.
Evening social events are scheduled at a local restaurant during interview season. This is an opportunity for candidates to meet with residents outside the hospital in a casual setting. Details will be sent to you once your interview date is scheduled. Please plan on attending this event and plan your travel accordingly.
Information for MD/PhD Candidates
Candidates with MD/PhD degrees who plan research careers following residency are invited to participate in a separate afternoon session on the day of the Pediatrics interview to provide further information regarding the robust research opportunities at the University of Colorado. On these interview dates, applicants interested in a career that involves basic science or translational research will meet with research faculty during the afternoon of the interview day.
Please advise us that you are interested in this opportunity to explore the exciting research taking place at Children’s Colorado and the University of Colorado so that you might be scheduled on one of the appropriate interview days.
These informal dinners are designed to give applicants from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine a chance to get to know members of the Diversity in Pediatrics Committee. While at dinner you can ask any questions you might have, and we can give you a little taste of what Denver has to offer. If you are interested in obtaining more information or attending a dinner, please contact us
to make arrangements.
All applicants from international medical schools must meet the minimum requirements listed above. Additionally:
- To be seriously considered, we expect international medical graduates to have an exceptional academic record and have prior clinical experience at an accredited US or Canadian medical center.
- In most cases they will have completed at least 4 months of hands-on clinical training in the US, preferably in Pediatrics. Observerships or shadowing experiences are not helpful.
- International applicants should be ECFMG certified by November 1, 2013. Please write to ECFMG-ERAS Program, 3624 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685, U.S.A., or visit their website, to obtain the needed forms.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent spoken and written English and the ability to work in a modern, high complexity medical center.
- The letters of recommendation must be from attending physicians supervising the applicant. Letters from Pediatric attending physicians at the applicant's medical school or other training institutions who have trained in the US are especially useful.