Thank you for your interest in the University of Colorado Neurology Palliative and Supportive Care Clinic. While palliative care is traditionally associated with cancer and end-of-life care (hospice), this field has expanded to assist persons affected by other serious illnesses and at any point where people are struggling during their disease course, including diagnosis. Patients and families affected by neurological conditions have significant and unique needs, including hard-to-control symptoms, long disease course, uncertain prognosis and caregiver strain.
We strive to improve the lives of patients and families struggling with any neurological or neurosurgical condition by addressing these sources of suffering through focused medical symptom management, psychosocial assistance, and spiritual support. To meet these complex needs, we have created a team-based clinic that includes a neurologist, nurse, social worker and chaplain. We also allow for extra time for visits and encourage all involved family and caregivers to join the patient in these visits.
Some of the specific issues we can assist with include:
- Setting goals of care and assisting with advance care planning
- Handling issues regarding decision making and capacity
- Assistance with caregiver support and resources
- Complex medical symptom management (e.g., agitation, fatigue, pain)
- Psychological concerns (e.g., grief, anger, guilt)
- Spiritual struggles
- Care transitions (e.g., hospice, assisted living, home health)
To make an appointment:
- Have your referring physician FAX your medical records, insurance information and contact information to FAX 720-848-2106. If you see a physician in the University network they can place a referral through Epic (Neurology Palliative and Supportive Clinic Order).
- Please allow 2 business days for processing of your paperwork. Then CALL 720-848-2080 to schedule your appointment.
- Be sure to bring any MRI/CT scan disks, lab results, and pertinent medical records to your appointment (4th Floor, Anschutz Outpatient Pavilion).
We accept all PPO/HMO/POS plans. Please call your insurance carrier to verify benefits and coverage at University of Colorado Hospital.
We have a patient assistance program and are committed to seeing all patients regardless of insurance or ability to pay. Please call 720-848-2080 and ask to speak with Ms. Holly Williams regarding the patient assistance program.