After conducting research projects with their respective mentors, many residents choose to create posters and abstract presentations for local, regional, and national competition submission. The American College of Physicians offers an annual Colorado meeting and a local Denver meeting every year at which many residents present research abstracts. In addition, there is a Department of Medicine Research Day with excellent participation by and many award winners among the housestaff. Divisions within the Department of Medicine support residents to present at national subspecialty meetings. Each year, our residents receive recognition and awards at local, state and national meetings
Examples of Current Residents' Research Projects:
- Reducing informal restraints for the frail elderly patient.
- UM-CSF Recptor Expression in IBD Intestinal Tissue.
- Patterns of treatment failure in ALK positive patients with advanced lung cancer.
- A Review of UCH Melanoma Clinic Patients with the Combination of both melanoma and breast cancer in search of molecular corralates between the two.
- Biophysics of ablation; linear drag RF lesions vs discrete lesions.
- Micro-RNA expression in mice treated with rosiglitazone ad hypoxia.
- Hospice-academic partnership to improve care for vulnerable populations at the end of life: pilot study of a new hospice visit design model.
- Examining the difference between fructose intake in 1988-1994 compared to 2003-2006 and the association with hypertension prevalence.
- Regulation of phosphate transport.
10. Use of FFP in ESLD and acute GI bleeders in the critical care setting.
11. A review of acute limb ischemia in an interventional cardiology practice.