Skip to main content
Sign In

International Medical Graduates

Frequently Asked Questions:

What types of visas do you sponsor?

Residents in our program must be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., a refugee or asylee, or possess the appropriate documentation to allow the Resident to legally train at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine. We sponsor both J1 and H1b visas.  The type of visa sponsored will be determined in consultation with our International Student and Scholar Services.  They assess your current visa status, where you are in the process and the type of visa you will need to have.  


Is US Clinical experience required for international graduates?

We require a minimum of one month clinical experience in a U.S. healthcare system. We do not count observerships or research as clinical experience.


Are there any special requirements for international medical graduates? 

International Medical Graduates are required to be ECFMG certified at the time of application or far enough along in the application process that you will receive certification no later than February 1 of the year in which you plan to match.​