Major area of research interest is in the pathophysiology and treatment of neuropsychiatric lupus. Clinical research trial currently ongoing is measuring cognitive dysfunction and depression in SLE patients and correlating symptoms with MRI and MR spectroscopy abnormalities. Additional areas of interest are metabolic bone disease and clinical trials.
- West SG: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and the Nervous System. In Wallace DJ, Hahn BH (eds), Dubois' Lupus Erythematous, 7th ed. Philadelphia. Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, 2007. pp 707-746.
- West SG et al. Renal involvement in SLE. In Schrier RW (ed), Diseases of the Kidney and Urinary Tract. Philadelphia, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, 2007. pp 1673-1699.
- West SG. Ankylosing spondylitis. In Rakel RE, Bope ET (eds) Conn's Current Therapy, Philadelphia, Elsevier Saunders, 2005. pp 1124-1127.
- West SG. Systemic diseases in which arthritis is a feature. In Goldman L, Ausiello D (eds), Cecil Textbook of Medicine (22nd ed). Philadelphia. Harcourt, 2004. pp 1716-1720.
- West SG, Kotzin BL. Sarcoidosis. In Hochberg M, et al (eds), Rheumatology (3rd ed). London. Harourt, 2003. pp 1735-1746.
- West SG (ed): Rheumatology Secrets, 2nd ed, Philadelphia, Hanley and Belfus, Inc., 2002.