Harvard College, Cambridge, MA
1972 A.B. Biochemical Sciences
Duke University Medical School
Barnes Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
1979-1982 Fellow Pulmonary
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research, Denver, CO
1980-1982 Postdoctoral Fellow
Predoctoral research, Robert M. Bell, PhD, Department of Biochemistry, Duke University
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Program Leader, Tobacco Related MalignanciesProgram, University of Colorado Cancer Center
Member, Human Medical Genetics Program, University of Colorado Denver
Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Staff Physician, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (from 69 peer-reviewed and 45 non-peer-reviewed)
- Miller, YE, Minna, JD, Gazdar, AF. Lack of expression of aminoacylas-1 in small cell lung cancer: Evidence for inactivation of genes endoced by chromosome 3p. Journal of Clinical Investigation 1989; 83:2120-2124.
- Aguayo, SM, Kane, MA, King, TE, Schwarz, MI, Grauer, L, Miller, YE. Increased levels of a bombesin like peptide in the lower respiratory tract of aysmptomatic cigarette smokers. Journal of Clinical Investigation 1989; 84:1105-1113.
- Miller, YE, Drabkin, HA, Jones, C and Fisher, JH. Human aminoacylase-1: Cloning, regional assignment ot distac chromosome 3p21.1 and identification of cross-hybridizing sequence on chromosome 18. Genomics 1990; 8:149-154.
- Aguayo, SM, King, TE, Waldron, JA, Sherritt, KM, Kane, MA, Miller, YE. Increased pulmonary neuroendocrine cells with bombesin like immunoreactivity in adult patients with eosinophilic granuloma. Journal of Clinical Investigation 1990; 86:838-844.
- Kane, MA, Aguayo, SM, Portanova, LB, Ross, SE, Holley, M, Kelley, K, Miller, YE. Isolation of bombesin/gastrin relaeasing pepetide recoptor from human small cell lung carcinoma NCI-H345 cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 1991;266:9486-9493.
- Aguayo, SM, Sherritt, KM, King, TE, Kane, MA, Silver, W, Nett, LM, Petty, TL, Miller, YE. Urinary levels of bombesin like peptides in asymptomatic cigarette smokers. Cancer Research 1992;52:2727s-2731s.
- Aguayo, MS, Miller, YE, Waldron, JR, Bogin, RM, Sunday, ME, Staton, GW, Beam, WR, King, TE. Brief report: Idiopathic diffuse hyperplasia of pulmonary neruoendocrine cells and airways disease. New England Journal of Medicine 1992;327:1285-1288.
- Cook, RM, Burke, BJ, Buchhagen, D, Minna, JD, Miller, YE. Human aminoacylase-1: Cloning, sequence and expression analysis of a chromosome 3p21 gene inactivated in small cell lung cancer. Journal of Biological Chemistry 1993;268:17010-17017.
- Kennedy T, Proudfoot S, Franklin WA, Merrick T, Saccomanno G, Corkill M, Mumma D, Sirgi K, Miller YE, Archer P, Prochazka A. Airflow obstructed patients with significant smoking histories have a high incidence of sputum cytology dysplasia. Cancer Res 1996; 56:4673-4678.
- Cohen AJ, Bunn PA, Franklin WA, Magill-Solc C, Hartman C, Azelfrich B, Folkvord J, Helm K, Miller YE. Neutral endopeptidase: Variable expression in human lung, inactivation in lung cancer and modulation of peptide induced calcium flux. Cancer Res 1996; 56:831-839.
- Franklin WA, Gazdar AF, Haney J, Wistuba II, LaRosa FG, Kennedy T, Ritchey DM, Miller YE. Widely dispersed p53 mutation in respiratory epithelium: novel mechanism for field carcinogenesis. J Clin Invest 1997;100:2133-2137.
- Cook RM, Moore M, Johnson B, Franklin WA, Miller YE. Mutational inactivation of aminoacylase-1 in a small cell lung cancer cell line. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer 1998; 21:320-325.
- Bunn PA, Brenner DG, Helfrich B, Chan DC, Dykes DJ, Cohen A, Grinberg I, Miller YE. Effects of recombinant neutral endopeptidase on the growth of lung cancer cell lines in vitro and in vivo. Clin Cancer Res 1998; 11:2849-2858.
- Cohen AJ, Franklin WA, Magill C, Sorenson J, Miller YE. Decreased lower respiratory tract neutral endopeptidase in lung cancer. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159:907-910.
- Keith RL, Miller YE, Gemmill RM, Drabkin HA, Dempsey EC, Kennedy TC, Prindiville S, Franklin WA. Angiogenic squamous dysplasia in individuals at high risk for the development of lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2000; 6:1616-1625.
- Hirsch FR, Prindiville SA, Miller YE, Franklin WA, Dempsey EC, Murphy J, Bunn PA, Kennedy TC. A randomized study of autofluorescence bronchoscopy versus white light bronchoscopy for the detection of preneoplastic lesions in high risk smokers. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001; 93:1385-1391.
- Keith RL, Miller YE, Hosikawa Y, Moore MD, Gesell TL, Gao B, Malkinson AM, Golpon HA, Nemenoff RA, Geraci, MW. Manipulation of pulmonary prostacyclin synthase expression prevents murine lung cancer. Cancer Res 2002; 62;734-740.
- Garg K, Keith RL, Byers T, Kelly K, Kerzner AL, Lynch DA, Miller YE. A feasibility study for a randomized, controlled trial of low-dose spiral CT for lung cancer screening. Radiology 2002; 225:506-510.
- Winn RA, Bremnes RM, Bemis L, Franklin WA, Miller YE, Cool C, Heasley LE. Gamma-catenin expression is reduced or absent in a subset of human lung cancers and re-expression inhibits transformed cell growth. Oncogene 2002; 21:7497-7506.
- Miller YE, Nield L, Keith RL, Le M, Franklin WA, Malkinson AM. Induction of a high incidence of lung tumors in C57BL/B6 mice with multiple ethyl carbamate injections. Cancer Lett 2003; 198:139-144.
- Prindiville SA, Byers T, Hirsch FR, Franklin WA, Miller YE, Vu K, Wolf HJ, Baron AE, Shroyer KR, Zeng C, Kennedy TC, Bunn PA. Sputum cytologic atypia as a risk factor for incident lung cancer in a cohort of heavy smokers with airflow obstruction. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Chemoprevent 2003; 12:987-993.
- Miller YE. Pulmonary Neoplasms, in Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 22nd Edition, Goldman L, Ausiello D (eds), 1201-1208, 2004.
- Keith RL, Miller YE, Hudish TM, Girod CE, Sotto-Santiago S, Franklin WA, Nemenoff RA, March TH, Nana-Sinkam SP, Geraci MW. Pulmonary prostacyclin synthase overexpression chemoprevents tobacco smoke lung carcinogenesis in mice. Cancer Res 2004; 64:5897-5904.
- Varella-Garcia M, Kittelson J, Schulte M, Vu KO, Wolf HJ, Zeng C, Hirsch FR, Byers T, Kennedy T, Miller YE, Keith RL, Franklin WA. Multi-target fluorescence in situ hybridization assay increases sensitivity of sputum cytology as a predictor of lung cancer. Cancer Detect Prevent 2004; 28:244-251.
- Kennedy TC, Franklin WA, Prindiville SA, Cook R, Dempsey EC, Keith RL, Hirsch FR, Merrick TA, Shroyer KR, Petty TL, Byers T, Bunn PA Jr, Miller YE. High prevalence of endobronchial malignancy in high risk patients with moderate sputum atypia. Lung Cancer 2005 49:187-191.
- Merrick, DT, Haney, J, Petrunich, S, Sugita, M, Miller, YE, Keith, RL, Kennedy, TC, Franklin, WA. Overexpression of vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptors in bronchial dysplasia demonstrated by quantitative PCR analysis. Lung Cancer 2005 48:31-45.
- Miller, YE, Vu, K, Kennedy, TC, Hirsch, FR, Petty, TL, Bunn, PA, Keith, RL, Franklin, WA, Wolf, HJ, Prindiville, S, Byers, T. Lack of association between sputum atypia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease mortality. Journal of Thoracic Oncology 2006 1:302-307.
- Jamshedur Rahman SM, Shyr Y, Yildiz PB, Gonzalez AL, Li H, Zhang X, Charuand P, Yanagisawa K, Slovis BS, Miller RE, Ninan M, Miller YE, Franklin WA, Caprioli RM CArbone DP, Massion PP. Proteomic patterns of preinvasive bronchial lesions. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2005 172:1556-1662.
- Merrick DT, Kittleson J, Winterhalder R, Kotantoulas G, Ingeberg S, Keith RL, Kennedy TC, Miller YE, Franklin WA, Hirsch FR. Analysis of cErbB1/epidermal growth factor receptor and cErbB2/HER2 expression in bronchial dysplasia: evaluation of potential targets for chemoprevention of lung cancer. Clinical Cancer Research 2006 12:2281-2288.
- Belinsky SA, Liechty KC, Gentry FD, Wolf HJ, Rogers J, Vu K, Haney J, Kennedy TC, Hirsch FR, Miller Y, Franklin WA, Herman JG, Baylin SB, Bunn PA, Byers T. Promoter hypermethylation of multiple genes in sputum precedes lung cancer incidence in a high risk cohort. Cancer Research 2006 66:3338-3344.