1992 - present
Director, Pulmonary Hypertension Center - University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Professor of Medicine, Pulmonary Division - University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Clinical Pharmacology - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN (Sabbatical)
Associate Professor of Medicine - University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Assistant Professor of Medicine - University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Pulmonary Fellow (Research), Pulmonary Division - University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
Senior Resident, Chief Resident – University of Hamburg
PUBLICATIONS (SELECTED FROM 250)
- Chang S, Feddersen CO, Henson PM, Voelkel NF. Platelet activating factor mediates hemodynamic changes and lung injury in endotoxin treated rats. J Clin Invest 79:1498-1509, 1987.
- Mecham RP, Whitehouse LA, Wrenn DS, Parks WC, Griffin GL, Senior RM, Crouch EC, Stenmark KR, Voelkel NF. Smooth muscle-mediated connective tissue remodeling in pulmonary hypertension. Science 237:423-426, 1987.
- Haroldsen PE, Voelkel NF, Henson JE, Murphy RC. Metabolism of platelet-activating factor in isolated perfused rat lungs. J Clin Invest 79:1860-1867, 1987.
- Badesch DB, Zapp LM, Westcott JY, Hester J, Orton EC, Voelkel NF, Stenmark KR. Decreased arterial wall prostaglandin production in neonatal calves with severe chronic pulmonary hypertension. Am J Resp Cell Mol Biol 1:489-498, 1989.
- Sala A, Voelkel NF, Maclouf J, Murphy RC. LTE4 elimination and metabolism in normal human subjects. J Biol Chem 265:21771-21778, 1990.
- Ono S, Westcott JY, Voelkel NF. PAF antagonists inhibit pulmonary vascular remodeling induced by hypobaric hypoxia in rats. J Appl. Physiol. 73(3): 1084-1092, 1992.
- NF Voelkel, J Czartolomna, J Simpson, RC Murphy. FMLP causes eicosanoid-dependent vasoconstriction and edema in endotoxin primed lungs. Am Rev Respir Dis 145, 1992.
- Panos, RJ, NF Voelkel, GR Cott, RJ Mason, JY Westcott. Alterations in eicasanoid production by rat alveolar Type II cells isolated after silica-induced lung injury. J Resp Cell Mol Biol., 6:430-438, 1992.
- Ono, S., JY Westcott, S Chang, and NF Voelkel. Endotoxin priming followed by high altitude causes pulmonary edema in rats. J Appl Physiol 74, 1993.
- J Haynes, JR Aubrey, E Taylor, D Dixon, and N Voelkel. Microvascular hemodynamics in the sickle red blood cell perfused isolated rat lung. Am J Physiol 264 (Heart Circ Physiol 33): H484-489, 1993.
- RM Tuder, B. Groves, D.B. Badesch, and NF Voelkel. Exuberant Endothelial cell growth and elements of Inflammation are present in plexiform lesions of pulmonary hypertension. Amer J Pathol 144(2):275-285, 1994.
- Voelkel NF, RM Tuder, J Bridges and WP Arend. Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist Treatment Reduces Pulmonary Hypertension Generated in Rats by Monocrotaline. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 11:664-675, 1994.
- Tuder RM, Flook B, Voelkel NF. Increased gene expression for VEGF and VEGF receptors KDR/Flk and Flt in lungs of chronically hypoxic rats. J Clin Invest 95:1798-1807, 1995.
- Voelkel NF, Lobel K, Westcott JY, Burke TJ. Nitric oxide-related vasoconstriction in lungs perfused with red cell lysate. FASEB J 9:379-386, 1995.
- Wade ML, Voelkel NF, Fitzpatrick FA. Suicide inactivation of prostaglandin I2 synthase: Characterization of mechanism-based inactivation with isolated enzyme and endothelial cells. Arch Biochem Biophys 321:453-458, 1995.
- Tissot Van Patot MC, MacKenzie S, Tucker A, Voelkel NF. Endotoxin-induced adhesion of red blood cells to pulmonary artery endothelial cells. J Appl Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 270:L28-L36, 1996.
- Chida M, Voelkel NF. Acute but not chronic hypoxia upregulates lung cyclooxygenase-2 gene via prostacyclin. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 270:L872-L878, 1996.
- Voelkel NF, Tuder RM, Lepley RA, Fitzpatrick FA. Inhibition of 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein (FLAP) reduces pulmonary vascular reactivity and pulmonary hypertension in hypoxic rats. J Clin Invest 97:2491-2498, 1996.
- L Wright, RM Tuder, J Wang, CD Cool, RA Lepley, NF Voelkel. 5-Liposygenase and 5-liposygenase activity protein (FLAP) immunoreactivity in lungs from patients with primary pulmonary hypertension. Amer J Resp Crit Care. 156, 1997.
- BD Lowes, W Minobe, WT Abraham, M Riseq, T Bohlmeyer, R Quaife, RL Roden, DL Dutcher, NF Voelkel, DB Badesch, BE Groves, EM Gilbert, MR Bristow. Changes in gene expression in the intact human heart: down-regulation of a-myosin heavy chain in hypertrophied, failing human ventricular myocardium. J Clin Invest 100:2315-2324, 1997.
- S-D Lee, KR Shroyer, NE Markham, CD Cool, NF Voelkel, RM Tuder. Monoclonal endothelial cell proliferation is present in primary but not secondary pulmonary hypertension. J Clin Invest (Rapid Commun). 101:927-934, 1998.
- JP Maloney, CC Silliman, DR Ambruso, J Wang, RM Tuder, NF Voelkel. In vitro release of vascular endothelial growth factor during platelet aggregation. Am J Physiol Resp Cell Mole Biol 44:H1054-H1061, 1998.
- NF Voelkel, C Cool, SD Lee, L Wright, MW Geraci, Rm Tuder. Primary pulmonary hypertension between inflammation and cancer. Chest 114:225S-230S, 1998.
- NF Voelkel, JD Allard, SM Anderson , TJ Burke. cGMP and cAMP cause pulmonary vasoconstriction in the presence of hemolysate. J App Physiol 1999.
- R Tuder, MW Geraci, J Wang, CD Cook, SH Abman, L Wright, D Badesch, NF Voelkel. Prostacyclin synthase expression is decreased in lungs from patients with severe pulmonary hypertension. Amer J Resp Crit Care Med June 1999.
- MW Geraci, B Gao, DC Shepherd, MD Moore, JY Westcott, LA Alger, RM Tuder, NF Voelkel. Selective pulmonary prostacyclin synthase overexpression in transgenic mice protects against the development of hypoxic pulmonary hypertension. J Clin Invest, 103:1509-1515, 1999.
- R Tuder, MW Geraci, J Wang, CD Cook, SH Abman, L Wright, D Badesch, NF Voelkel. Prostacyclin synthase expression is decreased in lungs from patients with severe pulmonary hypertension. Amer J Resp Crit Care Med, 159:1925-1932, 1999.
- CD Cool, JS Stewart, P Werahera, GJ Miller, RL Williams, NF Voelkel, RM Tuder. Three dimensional reconstruction of pulmonary arteries in plexiform pulmonary hypertension using cell specific markers: evidence for a dynamic and heterogeneous process of pulmonary endothelial cell growth. Am J Path, In Print.
- Y Kasahara, RM Tuder, CD Cool, DA Lynch, SC Flores, NF Voelkel. Endothelial cell death and decreased expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptor KDR/Flk-1 in smoking-induced emphysema. Lancet. Submitted.
- M Jakkula, TD LeCras, S Gebb, KP Hirth, RM Tuder, NF Voelkel, SH Abman. Inhibition of angiogenesis decreases alveolarization in the developing rat lung. Am J Physiology. Submitted
- M Taraseviciene, Y Kasahara, L. Alger, P Hirth, G McMahon, J Waltenberger, NF Voelkel, RM Tuder. Inhibition of the VEGF receptor-2 combined with chronic hypoxia causes severe pulmonary hypertension with pulmonary endothelial cell proliferation. FASEB J, In Print.
- NF Voelkel, RM Tuder. Hypoxia-induced pulmonary vascular remodeling: a model for what human disease? J Clin Invest 2000; In print.