Lee S. Newman, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver
Pulmonary Sciences & Critical Care Medicine
Education & Training
Amherst College, Amherst, MA
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
1977 M.A. Social Psychology
Vanderbilt U. Sch. of Med., Nashville, TN
1980-1983 Intern/Resident Internal Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
1984-1987 Fellow Pulmonary Science
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine and Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine
Faculty Member, Pulmonary Division and Occupational Medicine Division, National Jewish Center
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Science and Critical Care Medicine and Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado Denver, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
Head, Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado
Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Science and Critical Care Medicine and Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado Denver, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
SELECTED PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (Selected from 70, Total Publications = 125)
- Bobka C, Stewart L, Newman LS. Comparison of in vivo and in vitro measures of beryllium sensitization. J Occup Environ Med 1997; 39:540-547.
- Daniloff EM, Lynch DA, Bucher Bartelson B, Newell JD, Jr., Bernstein SM, Newman LS. Observer variation and relationship of computed tomography to severity of beryllium disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 155:2047-2056.
- Inoue Y, Kohno N, Barker EA, Daniloff E, Hiwada K, Newman LS. Pulmonary epithelial cell injury and alveolar-capillary permeability in berylliosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156:109-115.
- Tinkle SS, Newman LS. Beryllium-stimulated release of tumor necrosis factor-a, interleukin-6, and their soluble receptors in chronic beryllium disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156:1884-1891.
- Perkner JJ, Fennelly KP, Balkissoon R, Bucher Bartelson B, Ruttenber AJ, Wood RP, III, Newman LS. Irritant-associated vocal cord dysfunction. J Occup Environ Med 1998; 40:136-143.
- Fontenot A, Comment CE, Kotzin B, Newman LS. Expansions of T cell subsets expressing particular T cell receptor variable regions in chronic beryllium disease. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1998; 18:581-589.
- Rose CS, Martyny JW, Newman LS, Milton DK, King TE, Jr, Beebe JL, McCammon, JB, Hoffman RE, Kreiss K. "Lifeguard Lung": Endemic granulomatous pneumonitis in an indoor swimming pool. Am J Public Health 1998; 88:1795-1800.
- Uh S, Inoue Y, King TE, Jr., Chan ED, Newman LS, Riches DWH. Morphometric analysis of insulin-like growth factor-I localizing in lung tissue of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 1998;158:1626-1635.
- Sanderson WT, Henneberger PK, Martyny J, Ellis K, Mroz MM, Newman LS. Beryllium contamination inside vehicles of machine shop workers. Appl Occ and Environ Hyg 1999;14:223-230.
- Judson MA, Baughman RP, Teirstein AS, Terrin ML, Yeager Jr H, and the ACCESS Research Group. Defining organ involvement in sarcoidosis: the ACCESS proposed instrument. Sarcoidosis Vasculitis and Diffuse Lung Diseases 1999;16:75-86.
- Maier LA, Raynolds MV, Young D, Barker EA, Newman LS. Angiotensin-1 converting enzyme polymorphisms in chronic beryllium disease. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 1999;159:1342-50 .
- Tinkle SS, Kittle LA, Newman LS. Partial IL-10 inhibition of the cell-mediated immune response in chronic beryllium disease. J Immunol 1999;163:2747-2753.
- Fontenot AP, Falta MT, Newman LS, Kotzin BL. Identification of pathogenic T cells in patients with beryllium-induced lung disease. J Immunol 1999; 163:1019-1026.
- Wang Z, White PS, Patrovic M, Tatum OL, Newman LS, Maier LA, Marrone BL. Differential susceptibilities to chronic beryllium disease contributed by different Glu69 HLA-DPB1 and –DPA1 alleles. J Immunol 1999; 163:1647-53.
- The ACCESS research group. Design of a case control etiologic study of sarcoidosis. J Clin Epidemiol 1999; 12:1173-86.
- Sawyer RT, Doherty DA, Schumacher BA, Newman LS. Beryllium-stimulated in vitro migration of peripheral blood lymphocytes. Toxicology 1999; 138:155-163.
- Martyny JW, Hoover MD, Ellis K, Mroz MM, Bucher Bartelson B, Maier LA, Newman LS. Characterization of beryllium aerosols generated during machining operations. J Occup Environ Med 2000; 42:8-18.
- Sawyer RT, Fadok VA, Kittle LA, Maier LA, Newman LS. Beryllium-stimulated apoptosis in macrophage cell lines. Toxicology 2000; 149:129-142.
- Farris G, Newman LS, Frome EL, Shou Y, Barker E, Habbersett RC, Maier L, Marrone BL. Detection of beryllium sensitivity using a flow cytometric lymphocyte proliferation test: the immuno-BeLPT. Toxicology 2000; 143:125-40.
- Hamada H, Sawyer RT, Kittle LA, Newman LS. Beryllium-stimulation does not activate transcription factors in a mouse hybrid macrophage cell line. Toxicology 2000; 143:249-61.
- Sawyer RT, Kittle LA, Hamada H, Newman LS, Campbell PA. Beryllium stimulates production of TNF-a by a mouse hybrid macrophage cell line. Toxicology 2000; 143:235-47.
- Hamada H, Vallyathan V, Barker E, Inoue Y, Newman LS. Mast cell basic fibroblast growth factor in silicosis. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2000; 161:2026-2034.
- Mayer AS, Stoller JK, Bucher Bartelson B, Ruttenber AJ, Sandhaus RA, Newman LS. Occupational exposure risks in individuals with PI*Z a1-antitrypsin deficiency. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 162: 553-558.
- Tan-Wilhelm D, Witt K, Lui WY, Newman LS, Janssen A, Ellison C, Yancey A, Sanderson W, Henneberger PK. Impact of a worker notification program: assessment of attitudinal and behavioral outcomes. Am J Indust Med 2000; 37:205-213.
- Newman LS. Immunologic mechanisms in occupational, environmental, and granulomatous lung disease. Immunopharmacology 2000; 48(3):329-331.
- Bauer RA, Sawyer RT, Daniloff E, Balkissoon R, Rose CS, Newman LS. Bronchoalveolar lavage macrophage-lymphocyte clusters are linked to lymphocytosis not granulomatous disease. Sarcoidosis, Vasculitis and Diffuse Lung Diseases 2000; 17:174-180.
- Fontenot AP, Torres M, Marshall WH, Newman LS, Kotzin BL. Beryllium presentation to CD4+ cells underlies disease-susceptibility alleles in chronic beryllium disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2000; 97(23): 12717-12722.
- Maier LA, Sawyer RT, Tinkle SS, Barker EA, Balkissoon, Rose C, Newman LS. IL-4 fails to regulate in vitro beryllium-induced cytokines in berylliosis. Eur Respir J 2001; 17:403-415.
- Tarlo S, Rhee K, Powell E, Amer E, Newman L, Liss G, Jones N. Marked tachypnea in siblings with chronic beryllium disease due to copper-beryllium alloy. Chest 2001; 119:647-650.
- Newman LS, Mroz MM, Maier LA, Daniloff EM, Balkissoon R. Efficacy of serial medical surveillance for chronic beryllium disease in a beryllium machining plant. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2001; 43:231-237.
- Kelleher PC, Martyny JW, Mroz MM, Maier LA, Ruttenber JA, Young DA, Newman LS. Beryllium particulate exposure and disease relations in a beryllium machining plant. J Occup Environ Med 2001; 43:238-249.
- Wang Z, Farris GM, Newman LS, Shou Y, Maier LA, Smith HN, Marrone BL. Beryllium sensitivity is linked to HLA-DP genotype. Toxicology; 165:27-38.
- Fontenot AP, Newman LS, Kotzin BL. Chronic beryllium disease: T cell recognition of a metal presented by HLA-DP. Clin Immunol; 100 (1):4-14.
- Maier LA, Sawyer RT, Bauer RA, Kittle LA, Lympany P, McGrath D, duBois R, Daniloff E, Rose CS, and Newman LS. High beryllium-stimulated TNF-a is associated with the –308 TNF–a promoter polymorphism and with clinical severity in chronic beryllium disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med (in press).
- Lundgren RA, Maier LA, Rose CS, Balkissoon RC, Newman LS. Indirect and direct gas exchange at maximum exercise in beryllium sensitization and disease. Chest (in press).