Janet E. Henson, B.S.
Instructor of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver
Pulmonary Sciences & Critical Care Medicine
Education & Training
University of Edinburgh and Cambridge UK
1967 A.I.M.L.T. Medical Technology
1962 - 1964
Cytologist, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
1964 - 1967
Responsible for supervision and training in Cytology Lab, Dept. of Pathology, University of Cambridge, U.K.
1967 - 1968
Cytologist, Sharp Memorial Hospital, San Diego, CA
1968 - 1972
Cytologist, Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla, CA
1973 - 1977
Electron Microscopist, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, La Jolla, CA
1977 - 1980
Electron Microscopist, National Jewish Hospital, Denver, CO
1985 - 1993
Manager, Research Laboratory Services, National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, Denver
1980 - Present
Director of E.M. and Histology Lab, National Jewish Hospital, Denver. Responsible for planning of construction of E.M. Lab
1988 - Present
Instructor, Dept. of Medicine, Pulmonary Division, University of Colorado Denver
1993 - Present
Senior Manager, Research Support Services, National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, Denver
DESCRIPTION OF RESEARCH INTERESTS
Inflammatory Lung Disease (Non-asthma)
Interstitial Lung Disease
Acute Lung Injury
Cell Biology of Inflammation. Initiation, progression, resolution and mediator control of the inflammatory process. Histopathological and ultrastructural evaluation of tissues.
- Harper TB, Chase HP, Henson JE and PM Henson. Essential fatty acid deficiency (EFAD) in the rabbit as a model of nutritional impairment in cystic fibrosis, in vitro and in vivo effects on lung defense mechanisms. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 126:540-547, 1982.
- Newman SL, Henson JE and Henson PM. Phagocytosis of senescent neutrophils by human monocyte-derived macrophages and rabbit inflammatory macrophages. J. Exp. Med. 156:430-442, 1982.
- Sugita T, Stenmark KR, Wagner WW (Jr), Henson PM, Henson JE, Hyers TM and JT Reeves. Abnormal alveolar cells in monocrotaline induced pulmonary hypertension. Exp. Lung. Res. 5:201-215, 1983.
- Henson PM, Larsen GL, Henson JE, Newman SL, Musson RA and CC Leslie. Resolution of pulmonary inflammation. Federation Proceedings 43:2799-2806, 1984.
- Burghuber OC, Strife R, Zirrolli J, Henson PM, Henson JE, Mathias MM, Reeves JT, Murphy RC and NF Voelkel. Leukotriene inhibitors attenuate H202-induced rat lung injury. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 131:778-785, 1985.
- Mason RJ, Walker SR, Shields BA, Henson JE and MC Williams. Identification of alveolar Type II epithelial cells with a tannic acid-polychrome stain. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 131:786-788, 1985.
- Christman JW, Rinaldo JE, Henson JE and JH Dauber. Modification by pretreatment with hyperoxia in vivo of the production of chemotactic factors by alveolar macrophages in response to the intraperitoneal administration of E. coli endotoxin. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 132:152-158, 1985.
- Worthen GS, Haslett C, Smedly LA, Rees AJ, Gumbay RS, Henson JE and Henson PM. Lung vascular injury induced by chemotactic factors: enhancement by bacterial endotoxins. Fed. Proc. 45:7-12, 1985.
- Rinaldo JE, Dauber JH, Henson JE and Henson PM. Role of alveolar macrophages in endotoxin-induced neutrophilic alveolitis in rats. Tissue and Cell 17:461-472, 1985.
- Crowley H and Henson J. Storage and retrieval of information in the electron microscopy laboratory. Electron Microscopy of America Bulletin, 1986.
- Haslett C, Worthen GS, Giclas PC, Morrison DC, Henson JE and Henson PM. The pulmonary vascular sequestration of neutrophils in endotoxemia is initiated by an effect of endotoxin on the neutrophil in the rabbit. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 136:9-18, 1987.
- Worthen GS, Haslett C, Rees AJ, Gumbay RS, Henson JE and Henson PM. Neutrophil-mediated pulmonary vascular injury. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 19:19-28, 1987.
- Chang S-W, Westcott J, Henson J, and NF Voelkel. Pulmonary vascular injury by polycations in perfused rat lungs. J. Appl. Physiol. 62(5):1932-1943, 1987.
- Haroldsen PE, Voelkel NF, Henson JE, Henson PM and RC Murphy. Metabolism of platelet activating factor (PAF) in the isolated perfused rat lung. J. Clin. Invest. 79:1860-1867, 1987.
- Henson PM, Rees A, Worthen GS and JE Henson. Immunological and non-immunological mechanisms of vascular injury. In: Diseases of the Kidney, 4th ed, Section XI. (RW Schrier and CW Gottschalk, eds.), Little, Brown and Co., Boston, MA, 2225-2251, 1988.
- Rinaldo JE, English D, Levine J, Stiller R and J Henson. Increased intrapulmonary retention of radiolabelled neutrophils in early oxygen toxicity. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 137:345-352, 1988.
- Henson PM, Henson JE, Fittschen C, Kimani G, Bratton DL and Riches DWH. Phagocytic cells: degranulation and secretion. In: Inflammation: Basic Principles and Clinical Correlates. JI Gallin, IM Goldstein, R Snyderman, eds. 363-390, 1988.
- Downey GP, Gumbay RS, Doherty DE, Labreque JF, Henson JE, Henson PM and Worthen GS. Enhancement of pulmonary inflammation by PGE2: Evidence for a vasodilator effect. J. Appl. Physiol. 64:728-741, 1988.
- Savill JS, Wyllie AH, Henson JE, Henson PM and Haslett C. Macrophage phagocytosis of aging neutrophils in inflammation. Programmed cell death in the neutrophil leads to its recognition by macrophages. J. Clin. Invest. 83:865-875, 1989.
- Chilton FH, Westcott JY, Zapp LM, Henson JE and Voelkel NF. Incorporation of arachidonic acid into cells, phosphoglycerides and eicosanoids of the isolated perfused rat lung. J. Appl. Physiol. 66:2763-2771, 1989.
- Westcott JY, Henson J, McMurtry IF and O’Brien RF. Uptake and metabolism of endothelin in the isolated perfused rat lung. Exp. Lung. Res. 16:521-532, 1990.
- Riches DWH, Young SK, Seccombe JF, Henson JE, Clay KL, and Henson PM. The subcellular distribution of platelet-activating factor in stimulated human neutrophils. J.Immunol. 145:3062-3070, 1990.
- Lien DC, Worthen GS, Capen RL, Henson JE, Wagner, Jr. WW and Henson PM. The acute inflammatory process in the canine lung: Direct observation of neutrophil behavior in response to C5 fragments. Lab. Invest. 65:145-159, 1991.
- Renz H, Smith HR, Henson JE, Ray BS, Irvin CG and Gelfand EW. Aerosolized antigen exposure without adjuvant causes increased IgE production and increased airway responsiveness in the mouse. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 89:1127-1138, 1992.
- Martin RJ, Boguniewicz M, Henson JE, Cehniker AC, Williams M, Giorno RC and Leung DYM. The effects of inhaled interferon gamma in normal human airways. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 148:1677-1682, 1993.
- Kraft M, Cassell GH, Henson JE, Watson H , Williamson J ,Marmion BP , Gaydos CA , and Martin RJ . Detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in the airways of adults with chronic asthma. Am. J. .Respir. Crit. Care Med. 158 :998-1001, 1998.
- Kench JA, Russell DM, Fadok VA ,Young SK, Worthen GS, Jones- Carson J, Henson JE, Henson PM, and Nemazee D. Aberrant wound healing and TGF beta production in the autoimmune- prone MRL/ + mouse. Clin. Immunol.. 92 : 300-310, 1999.