James H. Fisher, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver
Education & Training
University of California at Davis
1968 B.S. Biochemistry
Professor of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Critical Care
University of Colorado Denver
Chief of Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine
Denver Health Medical Center
AWARDS AND OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
||Intern, (Medicine) St. Mary’s Hospital, San Francisco, CA|
||Resident (Medicine) University of California of Davis, CA|
||Pulmonary Fellow, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO|
||Postdoctoral Fellow, Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research, Denver, CO|
||Junior Research Fellow, Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research, Denver, CO|
||Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Diseases and Clinical Genetics, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO|
||Institute Fellow, Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research, Denver, CO|
||Director, Pulmonary Services, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO|
Chief, Waring Service, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO
||Associate Professor, Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO|
||Professor of Internal Medicine, Chief of Pulmonary/Critical Care Division, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI|
- Fisher JH, Gusella JF, Scoggin CH: Molecular hybridization under conditions of high stringency permits cloned DNA segments containing reiterated DNA sequences to be assigned to specific chromosomal locations. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA); 81:520-524, 1984.
- Shoemaker SA, Fisher JH, Scoggin CH: DNA-Hybridization techniques detect small numbers of mycobacteria with no cross-hybridization with non-mycobacterial Respiratory organisms. Am Rev Resp Dis 131:260-263, 1985.
- Shoemaker SA, Fisher JH, Jones W, Scoggin CH: Restriction fragment analysis of chromosomal DNA defines different strains of mycobacterium tuberculosis. Am Rev Resp Dis 134:210-213, 1986.
- Fisher JH, Scoggin CH, Rogler CF: Sequences which flank an 11p deletion observed in an hepatocellular carcinomamap to 11p13. Human Gene 75(1):66-69, 1987.
- Fisher JH, Kao FT, Jones C, White RT, Benson BJ, Mason R: The coding sequence for the 32,000 dalton pulmonary surfactant-associated protein A is located on chromosome 10 and identifies two separate restriction-fragment-length polymorphisms. Am J Hum Genet 40:503-511, 1987.
- Sano K, Fisher JH, Mason RJ, Kuroki Y, Schilling J, Benson B, and Voelker D: Isolation and sequence of a cDNA clone for the rat pulmonary surfactant-associated protein (SP-A). Biochem Biophys Res Commun 144(1):367-373, 1987.
- Emrie PA, Jones C, Hoffmann T, Fisher JH: The coding sequence for the human 18,000 dalton hydrophobic pulmonary surfactant protein is located on chromosome 2 and identifies a restriction fragment length polymorphism. Somatic Cell Molec Genet 14(1):105-110, 1988.
- Fisher JH, Emrie PA, Shannon JM, Sano K, Halter B, Mason RJ: Rat pulmonary surfactant protein-A is expressed as two differently sized mRNA species which arise from differential polyadenylation of one transcript. Biochim Biophys Acta 950:338-345, 1988.
- Fisher JH, Emrie PA, Drabkin HA, Kushnick T, Gerber M, Hofmann T, Jones C: The gene encoding the hydrophobic surfactant protein SP-C is located on 8p and identifies an Eco R-I restriction fragment length polymorphism. Am J Hum Genet 43:436-441, 1988.
- Fisher JH, Emrie PA, Shannon JM, Hofmann T, Mason RJ: Nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequence of the hydrophobic surfactant protein SP-C from rat: Expression in alveolar cells and homology with SP-C from other species. Biochim Biophys Acta 995:225-230, 1989.
- Emrie PA, Shannon JM, Mason RJ, Fisher JH: cDNA and deduced amino acid sequence for the rat hydrophobic pulmonary surfactant associated protein SP-B. Biochim Biophys Acta 994:215-221, 1989.
- Schellhase DE, Emrie PA, Fisher JH, Shannon JM: Ontogeny of surfactant proteins in the rat. Pediat Res 26(3):167-74, 1989.
- Bakerman PR, Stenmark KR, Fisher JH: Alpha-skeletal actin messenger RNA increases in acute right ventricle hypertrophy. Am J Physiol: Lung Cell Molec Biol 258:L173-L178, 1990.
- Shannon JM, Emrie PA, Fisher JH, Kuroki Y, Jennings SD, Mason RJ: Effect of a reconstituted basement membrane on expression of surfactant apoproteins in cultured adult rat alveolar type II cells. Am J Resp Cell Molec Biol 2:183-192, 1990.
- McCormack FX, Fisher JH, Suwabe A, Smith DL, Shannon JM, Voelker DR: Expression and characterization of rat surfactant protein A synthesized in Chinese hamster ovary cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 1087:190-198, 1990.
- Hendrickson D, Fisher JH, Jones C, Ho Yeshih: Regional localization of human extracellular superoxide dismutase gene to 4pter-q21. Genomics 8:736-738, 1990.
- Miller YE, Drabkin H, Jones C, Fisher JH: Human aminoacylase-1: Cloning, regional assignment to distal chromosome 3p21.1 and identification of a cross-hybridizing sequence on chromosome 18. Genomics 8:149-154, 1990.
- Fisher JH, McCormack FX, Park SS, Stelzner T, Shannon JM, Hofmann T: In vivo regulation of surfactant proteins by glucocorticords. Am J Resp Cell Molec Biol 5:63-70, 1991.
- Stelzner T, O'Brien RF, Yanagisawa M, Sakurai T, Sato K, Webb S, Zamora M, McMurtry IF, Fisher JH: Increased endothelin-1 and preproendothelin-1, mRNA expression in lungs from rats with idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol: Lung Cell Molec Biol 262(5):L614, 1992.
- Shimizu H, Fisher JH, Papst P, Benson B, Law K, Mason RJ, Voelker DR: Primary structure of rat pulmonary surfactant protein D: cDNA and deduced amino acid sequence. J Biol Chem 267(3):1853-1857, 1992.
- Beers MF, Wall A, Eckenhoff MF, Feinstein SI, Fisher JH, Fisher AB: An antibody with specificity for surfactant protein C precursors: Identification of pro-SP-C in rat lung. Am J Resp Cell Molec Biol 7:368-378, 1992.
- Jones RB, Matthes S, Shpall EJ, Peters WP, Fisher JH, Stemmer SM, Stephens JK, Bearman SI: Acute lung injury following high-dose cyclophosphamide, cisplatin, and carmustine with autologous bone marrow support: Pharmacologic evaluation of the role of BCNU. J Natl Cancer Inst 85:640-647, 1993.
- Fabio CR, Fiacomo M, Borrello MG, Colombo MP, Fisher JH, Pierotti MA, Giuseppe CP, and Dragani TA: Multiple molecular alterations in mouse lung tumors. Molec Carcinogenesis 5:155-160, 1992.
- Deterding RR, Shimizu H, Fisher JH, Shannon JM: Regulation of surfactant protein D expression by glucocorticoids in vitro and in vivo. Am J Resp Cell Molec Biol 10:30-37, 1994.
- Kinnard WV, Papst P, Tuder R, Fisher JH. Epithelial cell differentiation and proliferation in an adult lung slice explant culture system. Lung, cell and molecular biology. Am J Resp Cell Molec Biol 11:416-25, 1994.
- Zamora MR, Fullerton DA, Campbell DN, Leone S, Diercks MJ, Fisher JH, Badesch DB, Grover FL. Use of cytomegalovirus (CMV) hyperimmune globulin for prevention of CMV disease in CMV-seropositive lung transplant recipients. Transplant Proc 26 (Suppl 1): 49-51, 1994.
- Fisher JH, Mason RJ: Expression of surfactant protein D in gastric mucosa. Am J Resp Cell Molec Biol 12:13-18, 1995.
- Rishi AK, Joyce-Brady M, Fisher JH, Dobbs LG, Floros J, VanderSpek J, Brody JS, Williams MC: Cloning, characterization and developmental expression of a rat lung alveolar Type I cell gene in embryonic endodermal and neural derivatives. Developmental Biol 167:294-306, 1995.
- Gass R, Fisher JH, Badesch D, Zamora M, Weinberg A, Melsness H, Grover F, Tully JG, Fang FC: Donor-to- host transmission of Mycoplasma hominis in lung allograft recipients. Clin Infect Dis 22:567-568, 1996.
- McIntosh JC, Swyers AH, Fisher JH, Wright JR. Surfactant proteins A and D increase in response to intratracheal lipopolysaccharide. Am J Resp Cell Mol Biol 15:509-1996.
- Chen Y-Q, Fisher JH, Wang M-H. Activation of the RON receptor tyrosine kinase inhibits educible nitric oxide synthase expression by murine peritoneal exudate macrophages. J Immunol 16199):4950-9, 1998.
- Korfhagen TR, Sheftelyevich V, Burhans MS, Bruno MD, Wert SE, Stahlman MT, Jobe AH, Ikegami M, Whitsett JA, Fisher JH. Surfactant protein-D regulates pulmonary surfactant homeostasis J. Biol. Chemistry 273(43):28438-43, 1998.
- Fisher JH, Sheftelyevich V, Ho YS, Fligiel S, McCormack FX, Korfhagen TR, Whisett JA, Ikegami M. Pulmonary-specific expression of SP-D corrects pulmonary lipid accumulation in SP-D gene-targeted mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2000 Feb;278(2):L365-73.
- Ikegami M, Whitest JA, Joe A, Ross G, Fisher J, Korfhagen TR. Surfactant metabolism in SP-D gene- targeted mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2000 Sep;279(3):L468-76.
- LeVine AM, Whitsett JA, Gwozdz JA, Richardson TR, Fisher JH, Burhans MS, Korfhagen TR. Distinct effects of surfactant protein A or D deficiency during bacterial infection on the lung. J Immunol. 2000 Oct 1;165(7):3934- 40.
- Wert SE, Yoshida M, LeVine AM, Ikegami M, Jones T, Ross GF, Fisher JH, Korfhagen TR, Whitsett JA. Increased metalloproteinase activity, oxidant production, and emphysema in surfactant protein D gene- inactivated mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 May 23;97(11):5972-7.
- Osanai K, Iguchi M, Takahashi K, Nambu Y, Sakuma T, Toga H, Ohya N, Shimizu H, Fisher JH, Voelker DR. Expression and localization of a novel rab small g protein (rab38) in the rat lung. Am J Pathol. 2001 May;158 (5):1665-75.