Dr. Lieu joined the University of Colorado School of Medicine faculty as an Assistant Professor in July 2011. He trained in internal medicine at the University of Colorado, where he also served as a Chief Medical Resident. He completed his fellowship training in medical oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and served as the Chief Medical Oncology Fellow in 2010.
Dr. Lieu is a member of the Developmental Therapeutics (phase I clinical trials) and Gastrointestinal (GI) Medical Oncology Program. These comprehensive programs include multidisciplinary cancer clinics, tumor boards, and research endeavors. Dr. Lieu is interested in resistance mechanisms to targeted therapy in GI cancers, and he was awarded the 2013 Conquer Cancer Foundation Career Development Award to study targeted therapies in colorectal cancer.
- Lieu C, Anderson R. Serum creatinine: Why lower may not be better. Crit Care Med 2007; 35(10):2458-9. PMID: 17885392
- Lieu C, Janssen WJ, Saint S, Dhaliwal G. The tip of the iceberg. J Hosp Med 2009; 4(5):317-20. PMID: 19504498
- O’Bryant C, Lieu C**, Leong S, Boinpally R, Basche M, Gore L, Leonardi K, Schultz MK, Hariharan S, Chow L, Diab S, Gibbs A, Eckhardt SG. A dose-ranging study of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the selective apoptotic antineoplastic drug (SAAND), OSI-461, in patients with advanced cancer, in the fasted and fed state. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2009; 63(3):477-89. PMID: 18509645
- Lieu C, Chow L, Pierson A, Eckhardt SG, O’Bryant CL, Morrow M, Tran ZV, Wright JJ, Gore L. A phase I study of bortezomib, etoposide and carboplatin in patients with advanced solid tumors refractory to standard therapy. Invest New Drugs 2009; 27(1):53-62. PMID: 18618082
- Kopetz S, Hoff PM, Morris JS, Wolff RA, Eng C, Adinin R, Overman MJ, Valero V, Wen S, Lieu C, Yan S, Tran HT, Ellis L, Abbruzzese JL, Heymach JV. Phase II Trial of Infusional Fluorouracil, Irinotecan, and Bevacizumab for Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: Efficacy and Circulating Angiogenic Biomarkers Associated With Therapeutic Resistance. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28(3):453-9. PMID: 20008624
- Lieu C, Kopetz S. Src family of protein kinases: a new and promising target for colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer 2010; 9(2):89-94. PMID: 20378502
- Tran B, Kopetz S, Tie J, Gibbs P, Jiang ZQ, Lieu CH, Agarwal A, Maru DM, Sieber O, Desai J. Impact of BRAF mutation and microsatellite instability on the pattern of metastatic spread and prognosis in metastatic colorectal cancer. Cancer 2011: 117(20):4623-32. PMID: 21456008
- Lieu CH, Lambert LA, Wolff RA, Eng C, Zhang N, Wen S, Rafeeq S, Taggart M, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Overman MJ. Systemic chemotherapy and surgical cytoreduction for poorly differentiated and signet ring cell adenocarcinomas of the appendix. Ann Oncol 2011; 23(3): 652-8. PMID: 21653683
- Lieu CH, Heymach JV, Overman MJ, Tran H, Kopetz S. Beyond VEGF: Inhibition of the Fibroblast Growth Factor Pathway and Antiangiogenesis. Clin Cancer Res 2011; 17(19): 6130-9. PMID: 21953501
- Scott AJ, Leong S, Messersmith WA, Lieu CH. A Moving Target: challenges in treating BRAF-mutant colorectal cancer. Colorectal Cancer 2013; 2(3): 197-204.
- Lieu CH, Tan AC, Leong S, Diamond JR, Eckhardt SG. From Bench to Bedside: Examples of lessons learned in the translation of preclinical studies of targeted agents in cancer drug development. J Nat Cancer Inst 2013; doi: 10.1093/jnci/djt209. PMID: 24052618
- Lieu CH, Tran H, Jiang ZQ, Mao M, Overman MJ, Lin E, Eng C, Morris J, Ellis L, Heymach JV, Kopetz S. The association of alternate VEGF ligands with resistance to anti-VEGF therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer. PLOS ONE 2013; 8(10):e77117. PMID: 24143206
** - co-first author
NIH K12 Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology
ASCO Cancer Foundation Young Investigators Award
Conquer Cancer Foundation Career Development Award
Cancer League of Colorado Research Award