Paul A. Seligman, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Medical School: State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine, Buffalo, New York
1972 - 1973 Intern in Medicine, University of Buffalo Affiliated Hospitals, Buffalo, NY
1973 - 1975 Resident in Medicine, University of Buffalo Affiliated Hospitals, Buffalo, NY
1975 - 1978 Fellow in Hematology/Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
When arrived at UCD: 1978
Past and current professional positions:
1978-1984 Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
1983-2006 Director/Preceptor -Specific elective course in Hospice Medicine For Senior
1984-1991 Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
1984-Present Medical Director - Hospice of St. John
1988- 2007 Course Director Medicine 7000 - Clerkship in Internal Medicine For Junior
1988-2006 Director - Medicine elective courses For Senior Medical Students
1991-Present Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
1994-2001 Coordinator of Medical School Curriculum - Chair of Curriculum Committee
and Curriculum Review Committee University of Colorado School of Medicine
2001-2003 Coordinator of Fourth Year Curriculum - University of Colorado School of
2004-Present Received Endowed Chair-Ruth and Ralph Seligman Endowed Chair in
Memberships and other information:
American Society of Hematology
American Society for Clinical Investigation
Academy of Hospice Physicians (founding member)
Clerkship Directors of Internal Medicine
Internal Medicine - 1975
Hematology - 1980
Medical Oncology - 1983
1972 Alpha Omega Alpha
Major Scientific Interest: Cell surface receptors and the cellular proliferation
Major Clinical Interest: Diagnosis and treatment of nutritional deficiency, breast cancer,
nutritional aspects of cancer treatment and prevention
1) Seligman PA, Schleicher RB, Allen RH. Isolation and characterization of the transferrin receptor from human placenta. J Biol Chem 254:9943-9946, 1979.
2) Chitambar CR, and Seligman PA. Effects of different transferrin forms on transferrin receptor expression, iron uptake and cellular proliferation of human leukemic HL60 cells: Mechanisms responsible for specific cytotoxicity of transferrin-gallium. J Clin Invest 78:1538-1546, 1986.
3) Seligman PA, Schleicher RB, Siriwardana G, Domenico J, Gelfand EW. Effects of agents that inhibit cellular iron incorporation on bladder cancer cell proliferation. Blood 82:1608-1617, 1993.
4) Seligman PA, Moore GM, Schleicher RB. Clinical studies of HIP: an oral heme-iron product. Nutr Res 20:1279-1286, 2000.
5) Singh M, Capocelli KE, Marks JL, Schleicher RB, Finlayson CA, Seligman, PA. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and proliferation marker MIB1 are influenced by neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 13:147-156, 2005.
6) Seligman, PA. Iron Deficiency. In Clinical Hematology, NS Young, SL Green and KA High (Eds.), Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, p. 231-241, 2006.
7) Seligman, PA. Hematology and Oncology. In: The Internal Medicine Casebook: Real Patients, Real Answers. Schrier, R.W. (ed.), Chapter 7, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, p. 270-336, 2007.