Kathryn L. Hassell, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Medical School: University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
1986-1989 Intern and Resident in Internal Medicine, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1989-1992 Fellow in Hematology/Oncology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
When arrived at UCD: 1989
Past and current professional positions:
1991-2002 Associate Director, Colorado Sickle Cell Treatment and Research Center, Denver, Colorado
1992-1993 Instructor in Medicine, Division of Hematology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
1993-1999 Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
1999-2008 Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
2002-2003 Interim Director, Colorado Sickle Cell Treatment and Research Center, Denver, Colorado
2003-Present Director, Colorado Sickle Cell Treatment and Research Center, Denver, Colorado
2008-Present Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
Memberships and other information:
Council on Thrombosis
American Heart Association
American Society of Hematology
International Society of Thrombosis & Haemostasis
American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Internal Medicine - 1989
Medical Oncology - 1991, 2001
Hematology - 1992, 2002
1986 Alpha Omega Alpha
Major Scientific Interest: Coagulation disorders including antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, investigation of novel anticoagulant therapies and strategies, hemoglobinopathies/sickle cell disease including mechanisms of vascular injury and chronic organ damage
Major Clinical Interest: Coagulation disorders and anticoagulation management, hemoglobinopathies including sickle cell disease, hematology support of the Bloodless Surgery Program
- K.L. Hassell and R. Marlar. Acquired protein S deficiency in HIV infected individuals. Clin Hemostasis Rev 6:14, 1992.
- K.L. Hassell, P.A. Lane and J.R. Eckman. Acute multiorgan failure syndrome: A potentially catastrophic complication of severe sickle cell pain episodes. Am J Med 96:155-162, 1994.
- G.R. Buchanan, D.W. Luckey, D.L. Wethers, K.L. Hassell, G.M. Woods, Z.R. Rogers, J.L. Lear, J.L. O’Connell and P.A. Lane. Functional asplenia in hemoglobin SC disease. Blood 85:2238-2244, 1995.
- B.L. Steel, K.L. Hassell, C. Rajagopalan, T. Parsons, T. Braun, and R.A. Marlar. Unique case of brothers with moderate Factor XI deficiency and one with severe bleeding after surgery. Clin Appl Thromb Hemostasis 2:14-17, 1996.
- KL Hassell. Hypercoagulable states in deep venous thrombosis. Primary Care Case Rev 1(2), 1998.
- K.L. Hassell. Altered hemostasis in pulmonary hypertension. Blood coagul fibrinolysis 9:107-117, 1998.
- K.L. Hassell. Anticoagulation in Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia: An Ongoing Challenge. Hospital Physician 36:56-61, 2000
- L. Barbour and K Hassell. Prevention of Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism. ACOG Pract Bull 21, October 2000.