Robert H. Allen, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Co-Head Division of Hematology
Medical School: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
1966-1967 Intern in Medicine, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, Texas
1967-1969 Staff Associate, National Institute of Arthritis, Metabolism and Digestive Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland
1969-1970 Senior Resident in Medicine, Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri
1970-1972 Fellow in Hematology/Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
When arrived at UCD: 1977
Past and current professional positions:
1972-1975 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
1975-1977 Associate Professor of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
1977-Present Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
1977-1998 Director, Division of Hematology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
1992-Present Cleo Meador and George Ryland Scott Professor of Hematology Research,
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
1998-Present Co-Director, Division of Hematology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
Memberships and other information:
American Society of Hematology
American Society of Biological Chemists
American Society for Clinical Investigation
Association of American Physicians
Internal Medicine, 1974
Alpha Omega Alpha
1974-1978 American Cancer Society Faculty Research Award
1986 MERIT Award, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney
1994 Chairman, FASEB Summer Research Conference on Folic Acid, Vitamin B12
and One Carbon Metabolism, Copper Mountain, Colorado
Major Scientific Interest: Absorption, transport and metabolic role of cobalamin and cobalamin analogues.
Major Clinical Interest: Diagnosis and clinical manifestations of cobalamin and folate deficiencies.
- Allen, Robert H., and Majerus, Philip W. Isolation of vitamin B12-binding proteins using affinity chromatography. III. Purification and properties of human plasma transcobalamin II. J Biol Chem 247:7709-7717, 1972.
- Kolhouse, J. Fred, Kondo, Haruki, Allen, Nancy C., Podell, Elaine R. and Allen, Robert H. Cobalamin analogues are present in human plasma and can mask cobalamin deficiency because current radioisotope dilution assays are not specific for true cobalamin. New Engl J Med 299:785-792, 1978.
- Kondo, Haruki, Kolhouse, J. Fred and Allen, Robert H. Presence of cobalamin analogues in animal tissues. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 77:817-821, 1980.
- Kovachy, Robin J., Copley, Shelley D. and Allen, Robert H. Recognition, isolation, and characterization of rat liver D-methylmalonyl coenzyme A hydrolase. J Biol Chem 258:11415-11421, 1983.
- Stabler, Sally P., Marcell, Paul D., Podell, Elaine R., Allen, Robert H., Savage, David and Lindenbaum, John. Elevation of total homocysteine in the serum of patients with cobalamin or folate deficiency detected by capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Clin Invest 81:466-474, 1988.
- Lindenbaum, John, Healton, Edward B., Savage, David G, Brust, John C.M., Garrett, Thomas J., Podell, Elaine R., Marcell, Paul D., Stabler, Sally P. and Allen, Robert H. Neuropsychiatric disorders caused by cobalamin deficiency in the absence of anemia or macrocytosis. New Engl J Med 318:1720-1728, 1988.
- Allen, Robert H., Stabler, Sally P., Savage, David G. and Lindenbaum, John. Metabolic abnormalities in cobalamin (vitamin B12) and folate deficiency. FASEB J 7:1344-1353, 1993.
- Niyikiza, Clet, Baker, Sharyn, Seitz, David E., Walling, Jackie M., Nelson, Katrina, Rusthoven, James J., Stabler, Sally P., Paoletti, Paolo, Calvert, A. Hilary and Robert H. Allen. Homocysteine and methylmalonic acid: Markers to predict and avoid toxicity from pemetrexed therapy. Mol Cancer Ther 1:545-552, 2002.
- Allen RH, Stabler SP. Identification and quantitation of cobalamin and cobalamin analogues in human feces. Am J Clin Nutr 87:1324-1335, 2008.