Associate Professor of Medicine
- Medical School: PhD (Department of Clinical Immunology), 1997 - 2001
- Trinity College Dublin (TCD)
- Graduateship of the Institute of Biology London (G.I.Biol.), 1995 - 1997
- Dublin Institute of Technology (1st Class Honours, 1st place)
Honors and Awards
- 2009 - Colorado CCTSI Junior Faculty award
- 2003 - First Prize Oral Presentation: Irish Society of Gastroenterology
- 2003 - Free Communication Prize: Irish Society of Gastroenterology (ISG)
- 2002 - First Prize Poster Presentation: Irish Society of Immunology (ISI)
- 2002 - Travel award: 9th International meeting on HCV & related viruses 2002
- 2001 - Workshop Award: American Society for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD)
- 2001 - First Prize Poster Presentation: Irish Society of Gastroenterology
- 1999 - First Prize Scientific Communication: Irish Gastroenterology 2K-Meeting
- 1999 - Gold Medal for Academic Excellence Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT)
- 1998 - Glenn D’arcy Memorial Medal (best final year project)
- 2009 to present - Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado
- 2005 to 2009- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver
- Adjunct appointment, Integrated Program in Immunology, University of Colorado & National Jewish Hospital
Committees and Responsibilities
- Member American Association of Immunologists (AAI).
- Research Mentor GI/Hepatology Fellows
- Committee member: Irish Society of Immunology (ISI).
- Committee member: HCV Consultative Council working group.
- Secretary: National Hepatitis C Research Consortium.
- Innate immunity including T/NK/NKT cells
- Lymphocyte differentiation and Immune homeostasis
- Regional immunity and organ-specific mechanisms of disease
- Cytokines and novel cytokine immunotherapy
- Liver transplantation
- Golden-Mason L, Palmer B, Klarquist J, Mengshol JA, Castelblanco N, Rosen HR. Upregulation of PD-1 expression on circulating and intrahepatic HCV-specific CD8+ T cells associated with reversible immune dysfunction. J Virol 2007 Sept;81(17):9249-58.
- Golden-Mason L, Castelblanco N, O’farrelly C, Rosen HR. Phenotypic and functional changes of cytotoxic CD56pos NT cells determine outcome of acute HCV infection. J Virol 2007 Sept;81(17):9292-98.
- Golden-Mason L, Burton JR Jr, Castelblanco N, Klarquist J, Benlloch S, Wang C, Rosen HR. Loss of IL-7 receptor apha-chain (CD127) expression in acute HCV infection associated with viral persistence. Hepatology 2006 Nov;44(5):1098-109.
- Kelly AM*, Golden-Mason L*, Traynor O, Geoghegan J, McEntee G, Hegarty JE, O’Farrelly C. Changes in hepatic immunoregulatory cytokines in patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma: implications for hepatic anti-tumour immunity. Cytokine 2006 Aug;35(3-4):171-9. *These authors contributed equally.
- Lynch L, O’Donoghue D, Dean J, O’Sullivan J, O’Farrelly C, Golden-Mason L. Detection and characterization of hemopoietic stem cells in the adult human small intestine. J Immunol 2006 May 1;176(9):5199-204.
- Golden-Mason L, Rosen HR. Natural killer cells: primary target for hepatitis C virus immune evasion strategies? Liver Transpl 2006 Mar;12(3):363-72.
- Volkov Y, Long A, Freeley M, Golden-Mason L, O’Farrelly C, Murphy A, Kelleher D. The hepatitis C envelope 2 protein inhibits LFA-1 transduced protein kinase C signaling for T-lymphocyte migration. Gastroenterology 2006 Feb;130(2):482-92.
- Dean J, McCarthy D, Golden-Mason L*, O’Farrelly C*, 2005. Trephine biopsies are enriched for activated T/NK cells and cytotoxic T cells. Immunol. 2005:99(1):94-102 * Contributed equally to the direction of this study. (download PDF)
- Golden-Mason L, Kelly AM, Doherty DG, Traynor O, McEntee G, Kelly J, Hegarty JE, O’Farrelly C. Hepatic Interleukin 15 (IL-15) expression: implications for NK/NK-T cell homeostasis and maturation. Clin Exp Immunol Oct;138(1):94-101, 2004. PMID: 15373910. (download PDF)
- Golden-Mason L, Douek DC, Koup RA, Kelly J, Hegarty JE, O’Farrelly C. Adult human liver contains CD8pos T cells with naïve phenotype but is not a site for conventional αβ-T cell development. J Immunol May 15;172(10):5980-5, 2004. PMID: 15128780. (download PDF)
- Kenna T, Golden-Mason L, Norris S, Hegarty JE, O’Farrelly C, Doherty DG. Distinct subpopulations of T cells are present in normal and tumour-bearing human liver. Clinical Immunology Oct;113(1):56-63, 2004. PMID: 15380530. (download PDF)
- Varadarajan R, Golden-Mason L, Young L, McLoughlin P, Nolan N, McEntee G, Traynor O, Geoghegan J, Hegarty JE, O’Farrelly C. Nitric oxide in early ischaemia reperfusion injury during human orthotopic liver transplantation. Transplantation Jul 27;78(2):250-6, 2004. PMID: 15280686. (download PDF)
- Kelly AM, Golden-Mason L, Doherty DG, Traynor O, McEntee G, Hegarty JE, O’Farrelly C. Interleukin 12 (IL-12) is increased in tumour bearing human liver and expands CD8+/CD56+ T cells in vitro but not in vivo. Cytokine Mar 21;25(6):273-82, 2004. PMID: 15036243. (download PDF)
- Kenna T, Golden-Mason L, Porcelli S, Norris S, Traynor O, McEntee G, Hegarty JE, O’Farrelly C, Doherty DG. NKT cells from normal and tumour-bearing human livers are phenotypically and functionally distinct from murine NKT cells. J Immunol Aug 15;171(4):1775-9, 2003. PMID: 12902477. (download PDF)
- Mengshol JA*, Golden-Mason L*, Arikawa T, Smith M, Niki T, McWilliams R, Randall JA, McMahan R, Zimmerman MA, Rangachari M, Dobrinskikh E, Busson P, Polyak SJ, Hirashima M, Rosen HR. A crucial role for Kupffer cell-derived galectin-9 in regulation of T cell immunity in hepatitis C infection. PLoS One. 2010 Mar 4;5(3):e9504.PMID: 20209097 *Joint First Authors (download PDF)
- Golden-Mason L, Palmer BE, Kassam N, Townshend-Bulson L, Livingston S, McMahon B, Castelblanco N, Kuchroo V, Gretch DR, Rosen HR. Negative immune regulator Tim-3 is overexpressed on T Cells in hepatitis C infection and it's blockade rescues dysfunctional CD4+ and CD8+ T cells. J Virol. 2009 Jul 8. PMID: 19587053 (download PDF)
- Golden-Mason L, Madrigal-Estebas L, McGrath E, Conroy MJ, Ryan EJ, Hegarty JE, O'Farrelly C, Doherty DG. Altered natural killer cell subset distributions in resolved and persistent hepatitis C virus infection following single source exposure.Gut. 2008 Aug;57(8):1121-8. Epub 2008 Mar 27. PMID: 18372499 (download PDF)
- Golden-Mason L, Klarquist J, Wahed AS, Rosen HR for the Virahep-C Study Group.Cutting Edge: Programmed death-1 expression is increased on immunocytes in chronic hepatitis C virus and predicts failure of response to antiviral therapy: race-dependent differences. J Immunol. 2008 Mar 15;180(6):3637-41. PMID: 18322167 (download PDF)