The Colorado Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program provides education and clinical experiences for doctors seeking expertize in hospice and palliative medicine. Since the program was launched in 2007, seven fellows have been trained. All of them practice palliative medicine in Colorado – bringing this specialized care back to our community.
The fellowship training consists of a one-year, clinically focused experience that provides fellows with insight and skill in the following areas:
• End-of-life communication
• Ethical and legal decision making
• Pain management in cancer and non-cancer patients
• Management of non-pain symptoms
• Psychosocial and spiritual support
• Bereavement support for the family
• Palliative Care research and quality improvement
Fellowship trainees gain experience caring for patients at University of Colorado, University of Colorado Hospital, Children’s Hospital Colorado, the Veteran’s Administration Eastern Colorado Health Care System, and The Denver Hospice.
Core Knowledge and Skills Development
Fellowship trainees learn the latest, evidence-based palliative medicine from faculty experts through conferences, lectures, interactive small group workshops and role play.