The Hospital Medicine Group (HMG) at the University of Colorado Hospital/University of Colorado Denver is an established national leader driven by its mission of providing exceptional quality patient care in a caring, cost appropriate manner while advancing the science of hospital medicine through a commitment to education and research.
Since 2003 the HMG has a proven track record in developing visionary leaders locally, regionally and nationally in clinical care and healthcare delivery, leadership, education and scholarly activity. Here are just a few of the HMG milestones and achievements.
- Established the nation's first Hospitalist Training Track (HTT) for internal medicine residents.
- Developed one of the nation's first Hospital Medicine Fellowships.
- Launched the nation's first Nurse Practioner Fellowship focused on hospital medicine.
- Co-direct the UCD Palliative Care Fellowship.
- Developed and host the Rocky Mountain Hospital Medicine Symposium; in its 8th year it has grown to one of the largest hospitalist meetings in the country.
- Hold numerous Department of Medicine educational leadership posts including Internal Medicine Residency Associate and Assistant Program Directors.
- Hold numerous School of Medicine educational leadership posts including the Director and Assistant Director of the Internal Medicine Clerkship, the Clinical Skills Specialist for Remediation and the Subinternship Director.
- Awarded numerous teaching awards including the prestigious Society of Hospital Medicine's Award for Teaching Excellence.
- Edit Hospital Medicine Secrets, a leading textbook in the field of hospital medicine.
- Edit The Hospitalist, the official publication of the Society of Hospital Medicine.
- Currently have over $3 million in grant funding.
- Published numerous high-profile articles in leading medical journals such as: JAMA, JGIM, Annals of Intern Med, Arch Intern Med, Stroke, Arch Neurol, Acad Med, and J Am Geriatr Soc.
- Helped create and now direct the Academic Hospitalist Academy, which serves to develop junior academic hospitalists as leaders in education, quality and research.
- Developed and chaired the 1st Annual Academic Hospital Medicine Leadership Summit.
- Helped build the American Board of Internal Medicine's Recognition of Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine, the certifying program for hospitalists.
- Serves on the Board of Directors for the Society of Hospital Medicine.
- Chosen as Chair of the 2012 Soceity of Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA.
- Possess numerous leadership positions within the Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) and Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM), including chairmanship of the SHM Academic Committee.
- Serves as Chief Medical Officer for Colorado Medicaid.
- Elected as Fellows of the American College of Physicians and Society of Hospital Medicine.
- Serve on the American Board of Internal Medicine Exam Writing Committee, which is developing a board certification exam for the specialty of Hospital Medicine.
CLINICAL CARE AND HEALTHCARE DELIVERY
- Developed clinical programs that provide care for over 30% of inpatients at the University of Colorado Hospital.
- Created the first Hospitalist-run Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) service.
- Leading the nation in developing in-patient stroke alert programs.
- Producing national leaders in Healthcare Policy; two members awarded the prestigious Healthcare and Aging Policy Fellowship offered by The Atlantic Philanthropies.