Virginia D. Sarapura, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Dr. Sarapura joined our faculty in 1992, following a fellowship in endocrinology at this institution. Her clinical interests are pituitary and thyroid disease, particularly the disorders of prolactin secretion, pituitary tumors, and abnormal thyroid function. Her research interest are in the area of pituitary gene expression and regulation, specifically of the glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit, that is part of the hormones thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). Her research primarily involves determining the transcription factors that activate the alpha-subunit gene of TSH, and how those differ from those that activate the same gene in cells that produce LH and FSH. Her other research interests are the inhibitory effect of thyroid hormone on TSH expression as well as on the growth of TSH-producing cells, and the ectopic expression of the glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit in lung cancer and other solid tumors.
- Sarapura VD, Wood WM, Woodmansee WW, Haakinson DJ, Dowding JM, Gordon DF, Ridgway EC. Pituitary tumors arising from glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit-deficient mice contain transcription factors and receptors present in thyrotropes. Pituitary. 2006 Apr 23. PUBMED
- Kerr JM, Gordon DF, Woodmansee WW, Sarapura VD, Ridgway EC, Wood WM. Growth arrest of thyrotropic tumors by thyroid hormone is correlated with novel changes in Wnt-10A. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2005 Jun 30;238(1-2):57-67. PUBMED
- Wood WM, Sarapura VD, Dowding JM, Woodmansee WW, Haakinson DJ, Gordon DF, Ridgway EC. Early gene expression changes preceding thyroid hormone-induced involution of a thyrotrope tumor. Endocrinology. 2002 Feb;143(2):347-59. PUBMED
- Sarapura VD, Samuels MH and Ridgway EC. Thyroid stimulating hormone. In: Melmed S (ed), The Pituitary, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK, 2002 (2nd edition, extensively revised)
- Sarapura VD. Prolactin-secreting pituitary tumors. In: McDermott MT (ed), Endocrinology secrets, p.102-105, Hanley and Belfus / Mosby, Philadelphia, PA, 1994
(1st edition), 1997 (2nd edition, revised) 2001 (3rd edition, revised) & 2005 (4th edition, extensively revised)