Rocio I. Pereira, M.D.
Dr. Pereira joined the faculty of the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes in July 2005. Dr. Pereira was born in Lima, Peru and moved to the United States with her family at the age of 10. She received her undergraduate degree in Biology from the University of Rochester in 1989. Dr. Pereira worked as a Research Assistant at the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, and then at the UCHSC-affiliated Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes until 1995. She then attended the University of Colorado School of Medicine where she earned her M.D. degree in 1999. Dr. Pereira completed her Internal Medicine Residency training at UCHSC in 2002 and remained there for her Endocrinology Fellowship which she completed in 2005. Dr. Pereira is board certified in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology. She has also been on staff at Denver Health Medical Center since July 2006 as a Clinical Endocrinologist. Dr. Pereira's research focuses on the role of adipose tissue in mediating insulin resistance, diabetes, and the Metabolic Syndrome. She is currently studying subjects in the General Clinical Research Center as well as conducting laboratory research.
- Pereira RI , Leitner JW, Erickson C, Draznin B. Pioglitazone acutely stimulates adiponectin secretion from mouse and human adipocytes via activation of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. Life Sciences 83: 638-642, 2008. PUBMED
- Pereira RI , Maahs D. Mediators of Insulin Resistance. Chapter in Zeitler P, Nadeau K (eds): Insulin Resistance and Metabolic Syndrome: Childhood Precursors and Adult Diseases. Humana Press, Totowa , NJ , 2008.
- Pereira RI, Barbour LA. Update on Osteoporosis. Postgraduate Obstetrics & Gynecology 26(16), 2006.
- Pereira RI, Zapalowski C. A Case of Normocalcemic Elevations of Parathyroid Hormone After Parathyroidectomy : An Autoimmune Phenomenon?. Endo Trends 12(4) :20-22,2006.
- Pereira RI, Draznin B. Inhibition of the phosphatidylinositol 3’-kinase signaling pathway leads to decreased insulin-stimulated adiponectin secretion from 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Metabolism 54(12):1636-43, 2005. PUBMED
- Cornier MA, Donahoo WT, Pereira RI, Gurevich I, Westergren R, Enerback S, Eckel PJ, Goalstone ML, Hill J, Eckel RH, and Draznin B. Insulin sensitivity determines the effectiveness of diatary macronutrient cmposition on weight loss in obese women. Obesity Research. 13(4) ;703-709, 2005. PUBMED
- Adipose tissue function