CU Sports Medicine Center
2000 S. Colorado Blvd,
Colorado Center Tower 1, Suite 4500
Denver, CO 80222
Dr. Poddar serves as the Director of the Primary Care Sports Medicine (PCSM) Program. During his tenure he has pioneered the creation and development of the PCSM clinical program which has now grown into an integral component of the multidisciplinary CU Sports Medicine Center in Denver. Dr. Poddar is board certified in family medicine with a CAQ in sports medicine. As a former collegiate soccer player, Dr. Poddar brings his athletic background to work. In addition to primary care, he specializes in the non-operative management of sports medicine injuries, as well as injury prevention, and novel approaches to treat overuse injuries.
Dr. Poddar is involved in various research projects in the field of Sports Medicine. As a team physician and Director of the Optimum Performance Team for the CU Buffaloes, he has specific interest in investigating methods for injury prevention and novel approaches to facilitate return to play from injury.
Principal Investigator, “COMPARISON OF THE BESS POSTURAL STABILITY TEST AND IMPACT NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL TEST RESULTS AFTER CONCUSSION”- protocol 04-0310, 2004-2006
Collaborator, “Immobilization in External Rotation after First Time Anterior Shoulder Dislocation: A Prospective Randomized Study – protocol 04-0088
Collaborator, Clinical Outcomes of Non-operative Management of Rotator Cuff Tears, MOON Shoulder Group, multicenter trial
Co-PI, Bone Stress Injury in Division I Collegiate Long-Distance Runners: A Five Year Retrospective Analysis, in progress
Co-Investigator, Effect of Accupressure on Stress Resilience of Athletes On and Off the Field, submitted for Innovative Seed Grant Program, CU Boulder
Co-PI, “Incidence of Anemia and Iron Deficiency in Collegiate Endurance Athletes,” in progress
Dr. Poddar serves as the Head Medical Team Physician for the CU Buffaloes, traveling with the football team during the season. He is also the regional consultant for the San Francisco Giants. He has also been asked to represent the Big XII Conference on the NCAA Competitive Safeguards Committee. He is an active member of several national sports medicine organizations, and has served on the Education Committee of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine for several years.
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine—Education Committee member
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Family Physicians
PUBLICATIONS AND GREY LITERATURE:
- Poddar SK, Glowney J. Glenohumeral Dislocation, Anterior. 5 Minute Sports Medicine Consultant, 2nd ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, in press 2009 .
- Poddar SK. “Sports Pharmacology of Pain and Inflammation Control in Athletes.” Netter Sports Medicine. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2009
- Poddar SK, Leiszler M, “Will serum uric acid levels necessarily be elevated with acute gout?,” J Fam Pract., pending 2009.
- McCarty E, Poddar SK, McGee K, Oliviero J, Baldea J, “Review Article: Return to Play Decisions in Sport,” 2009 (in press).
- Baldea J, Khodaee M, Poddar SK, Hill J, Johnson J, “Training Patterns, Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Medication Use, and Effects on High-Altitude Ultramarathon Performance,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, May 2009; 41: 5S.
- Schreiber K, Khodaee M, Poddar SK, “What are the Most Effective Treatment Options for Morton’s Neuroma?,” J Fam Pract., pending 2009.
- Marshall PD, Poddar SK, Hill J, "Shoulder Injury- Mountain Biking," Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, June 2008 (Supp).
- Glaser T, Poddar S, Tweed B, Webb CW. “ What’s the Best Way to Treat Achilles Tendinopathy?,” J Fam Pract. 2008 Apr;57(4):261-263.
- Carlson CJ, Poddar SK, Hill J, "Fatigue and Dyspnea in an Active Male Cyclist," Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, June 2007 (supp).
- Marshall P, Poddar SK, "Do Glucosamine and Chondroitin Worsen Blood Sugar Control in Diabetics?," J Fam Pract. 2006 Dec; 55(12):1091-3. Review
- Poddar SK, Bartz R, "Evaluation and Management of Concussion in Athletes," Orthopedics Hyperguide, 2006.
- Hart WM, Poddar SK, Bartz R, "Creatine Supplementation," Orthopedics Hyperguide, 2006.
- Hart WM, Poddar SK, McCarty EC, Hill JC , “Patellar Tendinopathy in a College Football Player”, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, June 2006;37:6S.
- Akhavan A, Flores C, Green S, Hackett J, Nguyen M, Kerns JW, Knight K, Poddar S. “How should we follow athletes after a concussion?,” J Fam Pract. 2005 Oct;54(10):902-4.
- Hill JC, Mazzola TJ, Poddar SK, “Axillary Arm Pain in a Cyclist” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, June 2005;37:5S
- Bean MA, Poddar SK, Wolcott M, Hill JC, “Knee Injury - Basketball” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, June 2005;37:6S
- Robertson N, Hale W, Mackler L, Poddar S. “Does quinine reduce leg cramps for young athletes?,” J FamPract. 2005 Jan; 54(1):76-8.
- Mazzola TJ, Poddar SK, Hill JC. Complex regional pain syndrome I in the upper extremity. Current Sports Med Rep. 2004; Oct:3(5): 261-6.
- Poddar, SK, “Does yoga speed healing for patients with low back pain. Evidence Based Answer – Peer Review. J Fam Prac 53(8): August, 2004.
- Mazzola TJ, McCarty, Hill JC, Poddar SK, Bartz RL “Lateral Ankle Pain – Fall down stairs” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, June 2004;36:6S, 149.
- Poddar S. Does injection of steroids and lidocaine in the shoulder relieve bursitis? Evidence Based Answer – Peer Review. J Fam Pract. 2004 Jun;53(6):488-92.
- Thompson C, Kelsberg G, St Anna L, Poddar S. Heat or ice for acute ankle sprain? J Fam Pract. 2003 Aug;52(8):642-3.