301 West 6th Avenue
Denver, CO 80204
My clinical focus as a family medicine physician has been primary care musculoskeletal medicine. I have been practicing with this focus since 1989. I consider sports medicine to be my specialty within general family medicine. I have held a Certificate in Added Qualification in Sports Medicine since 1995. I came to Denver Health after 5 years in a private practice associated with St. Joseph Hospital. During my 5 years of private practice, I specialized in Sports and Family Medicine and covered sport teams at The University of Denver, Metro State College and at community sporting events such as marathons, high school football games and high school state volleyball tournaments.
I joined the Family Medicine Department at Denver Health in 1998 and have been practicing musculoskeletal medicine about 50% of my clinical time. I attend a minor fracture clinic and a non-surgical orthopedic clinic. Both clinics have residents and medical students who attend on a regular basis for instruction in primary care musculoskeletal medicine. I have also be a volunteer physician for U.S. Olympic Committee and have had the opportunity to participate in providing medical coverage for international competitions.
I have research interest in musculoskeletal injury prevention and obesity.
Denver Health Family Medicine Research Committee
PUBLICATIONS AND GREY LITERATURE:
- Gutierrez GP. Managing osteoarthritis: what's best for your patient? Journal of Family Practice. 57(10):644-50, 2008 Oct.
- Gutierrez G, Sills M, Bublitz CD, Westfall JM. Sports-related injuries in the United States: who gets care and who does not. Clin J Sport Med. 2006 Mar;16(2):136-41.
- Gutierrez G, Burroughs M, Poddar S. Clinical inquiries. Does injection of steroids and lidocaine in the shoulder relieve bursitis? J Fam Pract. 2004 Jun;53(6):488-92.
- Gutierrez G. Management of radial head fracture. Am Fam Physician. 1997 May 1;55(6):2213-6.
- Gutierrez G. Office Management of Scaphoid Fractures, The Physician & Sportsmedicine - VOL 24 - NO. 8 Aug 1996
- Gutierrez G. Heat Illness in Children. The Physician & Sportsmedicine July, 1995
- Gutierrez G. "Common Sports Medicine Injuries" in Conn's Current Therapy "94. R. Rakel