PUBLICATIONS AND GREY LITERATURE:
1. Fernald DH, Staudenmaier AC, Tressler CJ, Main DS, O'Brien-Gonzales A, Barley GE. Student perspectives on primary care preceptorships: enhancing the medical student preceptorship learning environment. Teach Learn Med 2001 Winter;13(1):13-20.
2. Fernald DH, Main DS, Tressler CJ, Nearing KAJ. Building capacity in small community-based health promotion programs: The Community Action for Health Promotion Initiative. Easterling DV, Gallagher KM, Lodgwick DG, Eds. Promoting Health at the Community Level. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 2003:99-120.
3. Bayliss EA, Steiner JF, Fernald DH, Crane LA, Main DS. Descriptions of barriers to self-care by persons with comorbid chronic diseases. Ann Fam Med 2003 May;1(1):15-21.
4. Fernald DH, Pace WD, Harris DM, West DR, Main DS, Westfall JM. Event reporting to a primary care patient safety reporting system: A report from the ASIPS Collaborative. Ann Fam Med. 2004 July/August;2(4):1-6.
5. Westfall JM, Fernald DH, Staton EW, VanVorst R, West D, Pace WD. Applied Strategies for Improving Patient Safety: A comprehensive process to improve care in rural and frontier communities. J Rural Hlth. 2004 Fall; 20(4):355-362.
6. Glasgow RE, Ory MG, Klesges LM, Cifuentes M, Fernald DH, Green LA. Practical and Relevant Self-Report Measures of Patient Health Behaviors for Primary Care Research. Ann Fam Med. 2005; 3:(1)73-81.
7. Hickner JM, Fernald DH, Harris DM, Poon EG, Elder NC, Mold JW. Issues and Initiatives in the Testing Process in Primary Care Physician Offices. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety. 2005;31:(2)81-89.
8. Harris DM, Westfall JM, Fernald DH, Duclos CW, West DR, Niebauer L, Marr L, Quintela J, Main DS. Mixed methods analysis medical error reports: A report from the ASIPS Collaborative. In Henrikson K, Battles JB, Marks E, and Lewin DI, eds. Advances in Patient Safety: From Research to Implementation. Vol. 2, Concepts and Methodology. AHRQ Publication No. 05-0021-2. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; Feb 2005:133-147.
9. Fernald DH, Duclos CW. Enhance your team-based qualitative research. Ann Fam Med. 2005;3:360-4
10. Cifuentes M, Fernald DH, Green LA, Niebauer LJ, Crabtree BF, Hassmiller SB. Prescription for Health: Changing Primary Care Practice to Foster Healthy Behaviors. Ann Fam Med. 2005;3 Suppl 2:S4-11.
11. Hansen LB, Fernald D, Araya-Guerra, Westfall JM, West D, Pace W. Pharmacy Clarification of Prescriptions Ordered in Primary Care: A Report from the Applied Strategies for Improving Patient Safety (ASIPS) Collaborative. J Am Board Fam Med. 2006;19:24-30.
12. Hildebrandt DE, Westfall JM, Fernald DH, Pace WD. Harm Resulting from Inappropriate Telephone Triage in Primary Care. J Am Board Fam Med. 2006; 19:437-442.
13. Parnes B, Fernald D, Quintela J, Araya-Guerra R, Westfall J, Harris D, et al. Stopping the error cascade: a report on ameliorators from the ASIPS collaborative. Qual Saf Health Care 2007 Feb;16(1):12-6.
14. Van Vorst RF, Araya-Guerra R, Felzien M, Fernald D, Elder N, Duclos C, et al. Rural Community Members' Perceptions of Harm from Medical Mistakes: A High Plains Research Network (HPRN) Study. J Am Board Fam Med 2007 Mar;20(2):135-43.
15. Padilla R, Bull S, Raghunath SG, Fernald D, Havranek EP, Steiner JF. Designing a Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Web Site for Latinos: Qualitative Community Feedback. Health Promotion Practice. 2008 Apr 2 (on line).
16. Voorhees K, Fernald DH, Emsermann C, Zittleman L, Smith PC, Parnes B, Winkelman K, Westfall JM. Underinsurance in Primary Care: A report from the State Networks of Colorado Ambulatory Practices and Partners (SNOCAP). J Am Board Fam Med 2008 Jul 1;21(4):309-16.
17. Fernald DH, Froshaug DB, Dickinson LM, Balasubramanian, BA, Dodoo MS, Holtrop JS, Hung, DY, Glasgow RE, Niebauer LJ, Green LA. Common Measures, Better Outcomes (COMBO): A Field Test of Brief Health Behavior Measures in Primary Care. Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35(5):S414-S422
18. Balasubramanian BA, Cohen DJ, Clark EC, Isaacson NF, Hung DY, Dickinson LM, Fernald DH, Green LA, Crabtree BF: Practice-level approaches for behavioral counseling and patient health behaviors. Am J Prev Med 2008; 35(5):S407-S413.
19. Hung DY, Glasgow RE, Dickinson LM, Froshaug DB, Fernald DH, Balasubramanian BA, Green LA: The chronic care model and relationships to patient health status and health-related quality of life. Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35(5):S398-S406.
20. Froshaug DB, Dickinson LM, Fernald DH, Green LA. Personal Health Behaviors are Associated with Physical and Mental Unhealthy Days: A Prescription for Health (P4H) Practice-based Research Networks Study. J Am Board Fam Med. 2009 July 1;22(4):368-74.
21. Ross SE, Schilling LM, Fernald DH, Davidson AJ, West DR. Health information exchange in small-to-medium sized family medicine practices: Motivators, barriers, and potential facilitators of adoption. Int J Med Inform. 2010 January 8.
22. Westfall JM, Zittleman L, Staton EW, Parnes B, Smith PC, Niebauer LJ, et al. Card studies for observational research in practice. Ann Fam Med. 2011;9(1):63-8.
23. Fernald DH, Deaner N, Neill CO, Jortberg BT, Verloin F, Dickinson WP. Overcoming Early Barriers to Family Medicine Residencies. Family Medicine. 2011;43(7):503-509.
24. Leverence RR, Williams RL, Potter M, Fernald D, Unverzagt M, Pace W, et al. Chronic non-cancer pain: a siren for primary care--a report from the PRImary care MultiEthnic Network (PRIME Net). J Am Board Fam Med. 2011;24(5):551-61.
25. Rhyne R, Sussman AL, Fernald D, Weller N, Daniels E, Williams RL. Reports of persistent change in the clinical encounter following research participation: a report from the Primary Care Multiethnic Network (PRIME Net). J Am Board Fam Med. 2011;24(5):496-502.
26. Parnes B, Fernald D, Coombs L, Dealleaume L, Brandt E, Webster B, et al. Improving the Management of Skin and Soft Tissue Infections in Primary Care: A Report From State Networks of Colorado Ambulatory Practices and Partners (SNOCAP-USA) and the Distributed Ambulatory Research in Therapeutics Network (DARTNet). J Am Board Fam Med. 2011;24(5):534-42.