Dr. Nease is Associate Professor of Family Medicine at the University of Colorado – Denver, where he serves as the Green-Edelman Chair for Practice Based Research, Director of Community Engagement for the Colorado Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Family Medicine and Director of the SNOCAP Practice Based Research Network Collaborative.
He also serves as President of the International Balint Federation (balintinternational.com). He completed his undergraduate degree and medical school at the University of Kansas, residency at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston and a Faculty Development Fellowship at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill. Dr. Nease’s passion is to improve health in partnership with communities, patients, clinicians and their practices. He works this territory from the level of individual interactions to community to community and population-based interventions.
My research career has been focused on improving the quality of primary care delivery through application of health information technology and practice redesign. Most of my work has been done in practice-based research networks, with clinical foci on cancer prevention and depression recognition and management. I am currently in a leadership role with the Colorado Health Outcomes Program based Practice Based Research Network Collaborative.
I am currently a Vice President of the International Balint Federation and am a Past President of the American Balint Society. I have served as Chair of the Michigan Primary Care Consortium, a broad based non-profit which has led PCMH definition and adoption in Michigan. I serve as a Senior Medical Director with the Crimson Care Registry division of The Advisory Board, Co., in Ann Arbor, MI
North American Primary Care Research Group
American Academy of Family Physicians
Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
American Balint Society – Past President (2007-09)
International Balint Federation – Vice President (current)
PUBLICATIONS AND GREY LITERATURE:
- Nease DE Jr., Klinkman MS, Volk RJ. Improved detection of depression in Primary Care through severity evaluation. J Fam Pract, 51(12):1065-1070, 2002.
- Nease DE Jr., Aikens JE. DSM depression and anxiety criteria and severity of symptoms in primary care: Cross sectional study. BMJ, 327(7422):1030-1031, 2003.
- Nease DE Jr., Green LA. ClinfoTracker: A generalizable prompting tool for Primary Care. J Am Board Fam Pract, 16(2):115-123, 2003.
- Nease DE Jr., Malouin JM. Depression screening: A practical strategy. J Fam Pract, 52(2):118-124, 2003.
Johnson AH, Nease DE Jr., Milberg LC, Addison RB. Essential characteristics of effective Balint group leadership. Fam Med, 36(4):253-259, 2004.
- Aikens JE, Nease DE Jr., Nau DP, Klinkman MS, Schwenk TL. Adherence to maintenance-phase antidepressant medication as a function of patient beliefs about medication. Ann Fam Med, 3(1):23-30, 2005. PMC1466796
- Green LA, White LL, Barry HC, Nease DE Jr., Hudson BL. Infrastructure requirements for practice-based research networks. Ann Fam Med, 3(suppl 1):S5-S11, 2005. PMC1466956
- Nease DE Jr., Aikens JE, Schwenk TL. Mental health disorders and their descriptive criteria in Primary Care – clarifying or confounding? Prim Care Companion J Clin Psych, 7(3):89-90, 2005. PMC1163280
- Nease DE Jr., Klinkman MS, Aikens JE. Severity and criteria based prompting for treatment of depressed patients. Int J Psychiatry Med, 35(2):149-59, 2005.
- Jimbo M, Nease DE Jr., Ruffin M, Gurpreet K. Information technology and cancer prevention. CA Cancer J Clin, 56(1):26-36, 2006.
- Nease DE Jr., Aikens JE, Klinkman MS. Depression case finding in Primary Care: A method for the mandates. Int J Psychiatry Med, 36(2): 141-151, 2006.
- Zazove P, Gorenflo DW, Nease DE Jr., Aikens JE, Meador HE. Assessment of depressive symptoms in deaf persons. J Am Board Fam Med, 19(2):141-7, 2006.
- Nease DE, Jr. Mutiny on the Balint? A reflection on the relevance of Balint, 50 years hence. Fam Med, 39(7):510-1, 2007.
- Aikens JE, Kroenke K, Nease DE Jr, Klinkman MS, Sen A. Trajectories of improvement for six depression-related outcomes. Gen Hos Psychiatry, 30(1):26-31, 2008.
- Aikens JE, Nease DE, Jr., Klinkman M. Explaining patients’ beliefs about the necessity and harmfulness of antidepressants. Ann Fam Med, 6:23-29, 2008. PMC2203394
- Nease DE Jr, Nutting PA, Dickinson WP, Bonham AJ, Graham DG, Gallagher KM, Main DS. Inducing sustainable improvement in depression care in primary care practices. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 34(5):247-55, 2008.
- Nease DE Jr., Ruffin MT 4th, Klinkman MS, Jimbo M, Braun TM, Underwood JM. Impact of a generalizable reminder system on colorectal cancer screening in diverse primary care practices: A report from the prompting and reminder encounters for prevention project. Med Care, 46(9 Suppl 1):S68-73, 2008.
- Wang C, O’Neill SM, Roghrock N, Gramling R, Sen A, Acheson LS, Rubinstein WS, Nease DE Jr, Ruffin MT 4th, Family Healthware Impact Trial (FHITr) group. Comparison of risk perceptions and beliefs across common chronic diseases. Prev Med, 48(2):197-202, 2009. PMC2720609
- Post-Myocardial Infarction Depression Clinical Practice Guideline Panel: Green LA, Dickinson PW, Nease DE Jr., Schellbase KG, Campos-Outcalt D, Schoof BK, Jeffcott-Pera M. AAFP guideline for the detection and management of post-myocardial infraction depression. Ann Fam Med, 7(1):71-9, 2009. PMC2625830
- Seyfried L, Hanauer DA, Nease D, Albeiruti R, Kavanagh J, Kales HC. Enhanced identification of eligibility for depression research using an electronic medical record search engine. Int J Med Inform, 78(12):e13-8, 2009.
- Main DS, Graham D, Nutting PA, Nease DE, Dickinson WP, Gallagher K. Integrating practices’ change processes into improving quality of depression care. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf, 35(7):351-7, 2009.
- Nease DE Jr. Depression in Post-MI Patients: An Opportunity for Primary Care. Am Fam Physician, 80(9):917, 2009.
- Nease DE. Can Primary Care Recover Patient-Centered Medicine? Balint Journal (Germany). 2009 Dec 9;10(4):120-2.
- Acheson LS, Wang C, Zyzanski SJ, Lynn A, Ruffin MT, Gramling R, Rubenstein W, O’Neill, S, Nease DE. Family history and perceptions about risk and prevention for chronic diseases in primary care: a report from the Family HealthwareTM Impact Trial. Genetics in medicine : official journal of the American College of Medical Genetics. 2010 Mar 3.
- Nease DE, Nutting PA, Graham DG, Dickinson WP, Gallagher KM, Jeffcott-Pera M. Sustainability of depression care improvements: success of a practice change improvement collaborative. J Am Board Fam Med. 2010 Jan 1;23(5):598-605.
- Gallagher KM, Nutting PA, Nease DE, Graham DG, Bonham A, Dickinson WP, et al. It Takes Two: Using Coleaders to Champion Improvements in Small Primary Care Practices. J Am Board Fam Med. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):632.
- Ruffin MT, Nease DE, Sen A, Pace WD, Wang C, Acheson LS, et al. Effect of Preventive Messages Tailored to Family History on Health Behaviors: The Family Healthware Impact Trial. Annals of family medicine. 2011 Jan 1;9(1):3-11.
- Nease DE, Aikens JE, Klinkman MS, Kroenke K, Sen A. Toward a more comprehensive assessment of depression remission: the Remission Evaluation and Mood Inventory Tool (REMIT). Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2011 Apr.;33(3):279–286.