AF Williams Family Medicine Center at Stapleton
3055 Roslyn St #100
Denver, CO 80238
I am from Colorado and completed my undergraduate education at Colorado State University. I then attended medical school at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. I then joined the Navy and completed my family medicine residency training at Naval Hospital Jacksonville, in Jacksonville Florida. After completing my residency, I was stationed overseas at Naval Hospital Sigonella in southern Italy where my family and I lived for three years. I practiced the full scope of family medicine to include outpatient clinic, inpatient, ER coverage, OB and newborn care. After completing my tour in Italy, I separated from the Navy and joined the Research Family Medicine Residency Program in Kansas City, MO as faculty. I completed a Faculty Development Fellowship through the University of North Carolina during this time as well. After four years as faculty, I had the opportunity to move my family back to Colorado and join the University of Colorado Family Medicine Residency Program as a faculty member during the summer of 2011.
I currently serve as the Medical Director for the AF Williams Family Medicine Center and also serve as the Associate Program Director for the Family Medicine Residency Program. I also practice the full scope of family medicine at AF Williams, taking care of patients of all ages, as well as inpatient and OB/newborn care.
I currently serve as the Deputy Editor in Chief for the Family Physician Inquiries Networ’s (FPIN) publications call “Help Desk Answers”. With this role, I participate in onsite writing and scholarly program development for family medicine residencies around the country. I am the Vice President of Membership and Education for the FPIN Board of Directors.
Within the University of Colorado Family Medicine Residency, I coordinate the scholarly activity for the residents and sit on the Education Planning Committee.
PUBLICATIONS AND GREY LITERATURE:
- Lyon C. Urethritis, Clinics in Family Practice Special issue: Sexually transmitted Diseases, 2005 March; 7(1), 31-41
- Lyon C, Schnall J. What is the best treatment for nocturnal enuresis in children. J Fam Pract. 2005 Oct; 54(10): 905-9
- Lyon C, Clark D. Diagnosis of Acute Abdomen in Older Patients. Am Fam Physician. 2006 Nov 1; 74(9): 1537-44
- Lyon C. What is the best treatment for ingrown toenails? Evidence-Based Practice. 2008; 11(7): 3
- Stevens R, Lyon C. Nutritional vitamin D deficiency: a case report. Cases Journal 2009. 2:7000 http://casesjournal.com/casesjournal/article/view/7000
- Lyon C. DVT Prophylaxis in the hospitalized medical patient. Evidence-Based Practice. 2010; 13(6): 7
- Schauner S, Lyon C. Bivalent HPV Recombinant Vaccine (Cervarix) for the Prevention of Cervical Cancer. Am Fam Physician. 2010 Dec 15; 82(12): 1546-1547
- McIntyre D, Lyon C. EBM on the Wards; Use of CT scans for diagnosing appendicitis. Evidence-Based Practice. 2010 13(10): 10
- Kumar A, Lyon C. How often do you need to change a PICC line? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011
- Darnauer K, Lyon C. Which systemic opioid is best for the management for labor pain? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(1): 9
- Garcia S, Lyon C. EBM on the Wards; What is the minimum number of days that antibiotics should be
given to a patient hospitalized with uncomplicated pneumonia? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(1): 12
- Armillo J, Lyon C. Is oral prednisone as effective as high-dose IV steroids as initial treatment in a patient with a COPD exacerbation? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(2):8
- Wada J, Lyon C. EBM on the Ward; What is the best initial antibiotic for patients hospitalized with MRSA cellulitis? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(3):6
- Shustek S, Lyon C. Can metformin be safely used in a patient with elevated creatinine concentration? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(4):5
- Lane M, Lyon C. EBM on the Ward; Dosing enoxaparin for DVT prophylaxis in morbidly obese patients. Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(4):13
- Mirza R, Lyon C. Is garlic effective in lowering lipid levels? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(6):11-12
- Ngar M, Lyon C. EBM on the Ward; Blood pressure management after acute stroke. Evidence-Based
Practice. 2011 14(7):5
- So J, Lyon C. How safe and effective are TNF inhibitors for management of psoriasis? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(9):7
- Espirtu C, Lyon C. What is the best initial management for acute symptomatic hyperphosphatemia? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(9):10-11
- Toney H, Lyon C. Does the addition of ipratropium to albuterol improve outcomes in the treatment of an acute asthma exacerbation? Evidence-Based Practice. 2011 14(10):6
- Sledd A, Lyon C. EBM on the Wards; When is it appropriate to remove vena cava filters? Evidence-Based Practice. 2013 16(1):4
- Breidenbach K, Lyon C. EBM on the Wards; How effective and safe are IVC filters in preventing PE in patients with a DVT? Evidence-Based Practice. 2013 16(7):6
- Mader K, Lyon C. EBM on the Wards; Do you need to provide VTE prphylaxis for patients with end-stage liver disease and an elevated INR? Evidence-Based Practice. 2013 16(11):4