- BS, Biology, Universidad Nacional de Colombia (1998)
- MS, Biochemistry, Universidad Nacional de Colombia (2001)
- PhD, Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch (2007)
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (Mentors: Frank Jones, Jennifer Richer, Carol Sartorius)
- Deciphering the mechanisms underlying increased
risk of brain metastases in young women with triple negative breast cancer.
These include ovarian estrogen effects on reactive astrocytes that results in
paracrine activation of EGFR and TRKB signaling in brain metastatic cells.
- Elucidating the effects of aromatase function
and brain-synthesized estrogen in neuroinflammation in brain metastases from
breast and other cancers.
- Validating IL13RA2 as a targetable candidate for
breast cancer brain metastasis.
- Developing novel patient-derived xenograft
models from breast cancer brain metastases, as well as novel imaging methods to
map brain metastases to specific brain niches.
Honors and special recognitions:
- 2014 - Keystone Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology, 2014-2015 Fellows program
- 2016 - Keystone Symposia Cellular Plasticity within the tumor microenvironment, Early Career Investigator Travel award. Big Sky Montana.
Research Complex 1 South, Anschutz Medical Campus
Office Phone: (303) 724-8343
12801 E. 17th Avenue, Mailstop 8104
Aurora, CO 80045