Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery
Director of Ophthalmology
Denver Health Medical Center
777 Bannock St. MC 0188
Denver, CO 80204
Dr. Quiroz-Mercado is an expert in diabetic retinopathy, retinopathy of prematurity (in children) and macular diseases including age-related macular degeneration. He has more than 30 years of experience and is a Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
He has written and co-written several books including: Age-Related Macular Degeneration, A Comprehensive Textbook, 2006; Retina.Diagnóstico y Tratamiento 2ª Edición, 2004 and Macular Surgery, 2000.
Dr. Quiroz-Mercado graduated from the School of Medicine at the National University of Mexico in 1976 and completed Vitreo-Retinal diseases fellowships at Luis Sanchez Hospital for the Prevention of Blindness in Mexico City and at the Schepens Eye Research Institute in Boston, Mass.
- Medical: Facultad de Medicina Universidad Autónoma de México
- Internship: Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social
- Internal Medicine and Surgery Residency: Hospital Espanol Mexico City
- Residency: Hospital “Dr. Luis Sanchez Bulnes” Asociación Para Evitar la Ceguera en México, México, D.F.
- Fellowship: Vitreous and Retinal Department, Hospital “Dr. Luis Sanchez Bulnes” Asociación Para Evitar, la Ceguera en México, México, D.F.
- Fellowship: Vitreo-Retinal Diseases, Associates and Retina Foundation, Boston, MA
1999 American Academy Ophthalmology, For many years of distinguished service in the programs of this Society
1995-1999 The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology ARVO. Certificate of Appreciation “in recognition for outstanding service to the members, officers, and staff of the Association”
2000 The Vitreous Society. The Vitreous Society Honor Award Series. 2000 Senior Honor Awards
2002 American Journal of Ophthalmology. Lecture at the Pan-American Society of Ophthalmology
2003 American Society of Retina Specialist. 2003 Senior Honor Awards
2007 Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology