At Children's Hospital Colorado our anesthesiologists are pediatric
experts who provide comfort and pain control during and after a surgery or
procedure. To do this safely, anesthesiology providers (who are
physicians and advanced practice providers) are involved in the entire
process: from planning of the surgery, throughout the procedure until
your child is safely recovered from the effects of the medications
(often referred to as “anesthesia”). At times, we even follow your
child’s progress in recovery for several days to assure optimal pain
What to expect from anesthesia
If your child is having surgery or a procedure at Children's
Colorado, an anesthesia provider will be with him or her for the
duration of the surgery/procedure, continuously monitoring your child’s
heartbeat, blood pressure and oxygen levels. Your child will receive
anesthesia for the entire procedure, maximizing their safety and
comfort. Depending on the type of surgery/procedure, your anesthesia
team may speak with you about different types of anesthesia, such as a
general, epidural or a nerve block.
Why choose Children's Hospital Colorado?
The Anesthesiology Department at Children's Colorado is made up of a
multidisciplinary team of highly trained pediatric anesthesia experts.
Our team carries out more than 27,000 anesthetic procedures per year,
specializing in the unique needs of children undergoing surgical,
diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
We have more than 50 specialty-trained pediatric anesthesiologists
and nearly 30 advanced practice providers (Certified Registered Nurse
Anesthetists and Anesthesiologist Assistants) who specialize in
pediatric anesthesia. Our experts are available for your child 24/7
whether it is for emergency surgery, trauma response, pain management or
beginning an IV.
- An anesthesia evaluation before surgery in our Preoperative Clinic
- Anesthesia services for every type of surgical procedure from ambulatory (outpatient) surgery to high-risk surgeries
- Anesthesia services for diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as gastrointestinal endoscopy, dental restoration, radiographic studies, interventional pain procedures, oncology procedures, and hearing/vision tests
- Difficult IV consults
- Critical care medicine consultations
- Difficult airway consultations
- 24-hour coverage after surgery from anesthesia providers at Children's Colorado
- Cardiac anesthesia
- Acute and chronic pain services
- Level I trauma coverage with three 24-hour in-hospital anesthesia providers
- Two 24 hour, in-hospital Emergency Response Team members
- Transplant anesthesia
- Obstetric anesthesia
- Anesthesia for fetal interventions
- Anesthesia care for children with rare pediatric conditions, such as epidermolysis bullosa and mucopolysaccharidosis
- An in-hospital anesthesia simulation program that assists in educating staff to safely manage emergency situations
The Department of Anesthesiology conducts ongoing clinical and
non-clinical research to provide innovative anesthesia care for
children. We have multiple clinical research studies for which your
child may qualify.
A research assistant may talk to you about your child participating
in one of our active studies. All research studies are carefully
reviewed and approved by The Colorado Multiple Institutional Review
Board. Our goal is to identify new, safe anesthetic care strategies to
maximize comfort and improved outcomes for children.
You may ask your doctor, nurse or anyone on the research team about any of these studies, or you can call (720) 777-6226.