The Cytogenetics Laboratory includes tissue culture facilities and equipment for probe labeling and hybridization. Our microscope laboratories are equipped with high-quality fluorescence and light microscopes and five computerized imaging systems, which are able to capture, process and print microscopic images. Our fluorescence microscopes are optimized for observation of the following fluorochromes:
- FITC and Spectrum Green (green)
- Texas-red and SpectrumRed (red)
- Rhodamine and SpectrumOrange (red)
- DAPI (blue)
- SpectrumAqua (turquoise)
- SpectrumGold (yellow)
These instruments could also be used to observe fluorochromes with similar excitation and emission wave lengths as those listed above.
- We follow the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and CLIA checklists.
- We perform daily instrumentation, reagent and technical quality control checks.
- We run external positive and negative controls simultaneously with all FISH analyses; for special projects, investigators must supply the control tissues/cells.
- We use reference probes for either the p arm or the q arm of a chromosome to define chromosomal deletions in the opposite chromosomal arm.
- Please discuss controls for your specific project with Dr. Varella-Garcia in advance.