Applications for Summer 2015 are due February 1st, 2015. Please allow enough time to assemble all of the information.
If you wish to apply for the Cancer Research Summer Fellowship offered through the University of Colorado Cancer Center, please include the following 5 items with your application packet:
- A brief essay explaining why I wish to apply for a Fellowship and how I expect this fellowship will increase my motivation towards a career in cancer research. Please write about the three projects you indicated on the front of this form (the essay must be not more than 2 double-spaced, typewritten pages).
- Official Transcript(s) for the last 12 months. Please be sure to give your school plenty of time to fill your request. If you have newly transferred, please include your transcript from your former University. *Please have your school send it to Jill because of time constraints.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a science teacher. If your recommender insists on sending the letter directly, that's fine too.
- Returning fellows must include a letter from their previous preceptor. This letter may substitute for one of the two required letters of recommendation.
- Please include your application form.
- You may hand-deliver your application or mail it via Priority Mail so it will arrive on time.
Fellowship are open to:
- Incoming college freshmen (who are seniors in high school when they apply, and wil be 18 years old by June 1, 2014)
- College undergraduates (including seniors in college)
- Minority students are encouraged to apply
- We are unable to take foreign students without a student visa at this time
What to know about the Cancer Research Summer Fellowship:
- CU Cancer Center Fellows work full-time for ten weeks during the summer from June 1 - August 6.
- Fellows may not combine their research work with other significant work commitments or daytime class work.
- Fellow are paid stipends based on a weekly rate determined by their academic level at the time of application. The rate is subject to change.
- Stipends are paid in two installments of 50 percent through direct deposit as fellows complete their program requirements.
- Students from the University of Colorado Denver and Metropolitan State College of Denver can opt to receive academic credit instead of a stipend. Please indicate this choice on the first sheet of the application form.
- Housing is not included in the fellowship. Fellows are required to find and pay for their own living arrangements for the duration of the program. Please view www.rotatingroom.com for a list of housing possibilities. A Facebook page of admitted students will be set up in the Spring. You may also find a roommate there.
- Fellows must commit to completing program requirements, including attending orientation and weekly lectures and events; writing a goals and objectives report, and presenting a final poster at the poster session. Students who cannot attend the poster session are required to write a final paper.
Approximate stipend amounts for 10-week fellowships in 2015 are listed below:
- High school students (we are accepting 3 high school students in 2015): $2,000
- College undergraduates: $3,000