Karen’s clinical background for the past 35 years has been the in neonatal intensive care unit at Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO), where she worked both as a bedside nurse and in a leadership role. During this time, she encountered many ethical issues in the care of patients and families prompting her to join the CHCO Ethics Liaison and CHCO Ethics consult service and ultimately to obtain a Master of Science in Healthcare Ethics.
Her work in the NICU has centered around mitigating moral distress with the development of a Palliative Care resource team and pre-delivery team meetings for patients with complex and uncertain prognosis. She participates
in ethics education, consultation, policy review and development for Children’s Hospital Colorado.
- BSN, Nazareth College, Kalamazoo, MI
- MS in Health Care Ethics, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- Clinical Ethics Consultation
- Shared decision making in Pediatric Ethics
- Moral Distress and Moral Agency
- Interdisciplinary teamwork and professionalism