Liping Yu, MD
Dr. Yu runs a clinical immunology laboratory which is also current NIH/NIDDK designated North America Autoantibody/HLA Core laboratory. His major interests are focused on humoral autoimmune responses and HLA genetics in Type 1 Diabetes. Islet autoantibodies (currently known to insulin, GAD65, IA-2, and ZnT8) usually appear years before clinical onset of type 1 diabetes, therefore they are very important markers for islet autoimmunity and play an essential role in prediction, prevention, and clinical practice for diagnosis and treatment for type 1 diabetes. HLA is a well know major susceptible gene marker for type 1 diabetes. With early detection of islet autoantibodies and HLA genetic analysis, it will help to study natural history of the disease and to try understanding underlying mechanism of interaction between environmental aspects and immune system/genetics which will be important for the study of etiology of type 1 diabetes. Dr. Yu himself developed and set up all these autoantibody assays in the current laboratory and recently he has developed a new assay method for these autoantibody assays demonstrated more sensitive and more disease specific which has been patented through university tech-transfer office and it will be used as a pilot study in NIH/NIDDK leaded national/international type 1 diabetes clinical trials for autoantibody screening. Dr. Yu also has studies on other related autoimmune diseases like Celiac disease through transglutaminase autoantibody study and Addison’s disease through 21-Hydroxilase autoantibody study.
- Yu L, Sheehy MJ. 1991. The Cryptic HLA-DQA2 (“DXα”) gene is expressed in human B cell lines. J Immunol. 147: 4393-4397.
- Yu L, Gianani R, Eisenbarth GS. 1994. Quantitation of glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibody levels in prospectively evaluated relatives of patients with type I diabetes. Diabetes. 43:1229-1233.
- Yu L, Chase HP, Falorni A, Rewers M, Lernmark Å, Eisenbarth GS. 1995. Sexual dimorphism in transmission of expression of islet autoantibodies to offspring. Diabetologia. 38:1353-1357.
- Yu L, Rewers M, Gianani R, Kawasaki E, Zhang Y, Verge C, et al. 1996. Anti-islet autoantibodies develop sequentially rather than simultaneously. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 81:4264-4267.
- Yu L, Eisenbarth GS. 1998. Immunology of type 1 diabetes and related endocrine disorders. Clinical Endocrinology Update. 257-266.
- Bao F, Yu L, Babu S, Wang T, Hoffenberg EJ, Rewers M, et al. 1999. One third of HLA DQ2 homozygous patients with type 1 diabetes express celiac disease associated transglutaminase autoantibodies. J Autoimmun. 13:143-148.
- Yu L, Brewer KW, Gates S, Wang T, Babu S, Gottlieb PA, et al. 1999. DRB1*04 and DQ alleles: expression of 21-hydroxylase autoantibodies and risk of progression to Addison's disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 84:328-335.
- Yu L, Robles DT, Abiru N, Rewers M, Kaur P, Kelemen K, and Eisenbarth GS. 2000. Early Expression of Anti-Insulin Autoantibodies of Man and the NOD Mouse: Evidence for Early Determination of Subsequent Diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 97:1701-1706.
- Yu J, Yu L, Bugawan TL, Erlich HA, Rewers M, and Eisenbarth GS. 2000. Transient Anti-islet Autoantibodies: Infrequent Occurrence and Lack of Association with “Genetic” Risk Factors. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85(7): 2421-2428.
- Yu L, Cuthbertson DD, Maclaren N, Jackson R, Palmer JP, Orban T, Eisenbarth GS, Krischer JP, and the DPT-1 Participating Investigators. 2001. Expression of GAD65 and ICA512 autoantibodies amongst cytoplasmic ICA+ relatives is associated with eligibility for DPT-1. Diabetes. 50:1735-1740.
- Redondo MJ, Yu L, Hawa M, Mackenzie T, Pyke DA, Eisenbarth GS, Leslie RDG. 2001. Hetrogeneity of Type 1 Diabetes: Analysis of Monozygotic Twins in Great Britain and the United States. Diabetologia. 44:354-362.
- Yu L, DD. Cuthbertson, GS. Eisenbarth, JP. Krischer, and the DPT-1 Participating Investigators. 2002. Diabetes Prevention Trial-1: Prevalence of GAD and ICA512 (IA-2) Autoantibodies by Relationship to Proband. Ann NYAS. 958:254-258
- Yu L, and Eisenbarth GS. 2004. Humoral Autoimmunity. Immunology of Type 1 Diabetes. 2nd Edition G.S. Eisenbarth, Eds. Chapter 10:247-267. Kluwer Academic/Plenum, New York, NY.
- Nakayama M, Abiru N, Moriyama H, Babaya N, Liu E, Miao D, Yu L, Wegmann DR, Hutton JC, Elliott JF, and Eisenbarth GS. 2005. Prime role for an insulin epitope in the development of type I diabetes in NOD mice. Nature 435:220-223.
- Jasinski JM, Yu L, Nakayama M, Li MM, Lipes MA, Eisenbarth GS, Liu E. 2006. Transgenic Insulin (B:9-23) T-Cell Receptor Mice Develop Autoimmune Diabetes Dependent Upon RAG Genotype, H-2g7 Homozygosity, and Insulin 2 Gene Knockout. Diabetes. 55:1978-1984.
- Yu L, Wang J, O’Dell JR, Oates J, Arend WP, and Eisenbarth GS. 2007. Anti-dsDNA antibody assay: high specificity and sensitivity with a filtration radioassay in comparison to low specificity with the standard ELISA. J Rheumatol. 34:734-739.
- Wenzlau JM, Liu Y, Yu L, Moua O, Fowler KT, Rangasamy S, Walters J, Eisenbarth GS, Davidson HW, Hutton JC. 2008. A common non-synonymous single nucleotide polymorphism in the SLC30A8 gene determines ZnT8 autoantibody specificity in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 57:2693-2697.
- Yu L, Liu Y, Miao D, Wenzlau J, Davidson H, Hutton J, and Eisenbarth GS. 2009. Triple Chimeric Islet autoantigen IA-2+ZnT8WR to facilitate Islet Autoantibody Determination. J Immunol Methods. 353:20-23.
- Bonifacio E, Yu L, Williams AK, Eisenbarth GS, Bingley PJ, Marcovina SM, Adler K, Ziegler AG, Mueller PW, Schatz DA, Krischer JP, Steffes MW, Akolkar B. 2010. Harmonization of glutamic acid decarboxylase and islet antigen-2 autoantibody assays for national institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases consortia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 95:3360-7.
- Yu L, Herold K, Krause-Steinrauf H, McGee PL, Bundy B, Pugliese A, Krischer J, Eisenbarth GS, and the Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Anti-CD20 Study Group. 2011. Rituximab selectively suppresses specific islet antibodies. Diabetes. 60:2560-5
- Yu L, Miao D, Scrimgeour L, Johnson K, Rewers M, and Eisenbarth GS. 2012. Distinguishing persistent insulin autoantibodies with differential risk: non-radioactive bivalent proinsulin/insulin autoantibody assay. Diabetes 61:179-186
- Yu L, Boulware DC, Beam CA, Hutton JC, Wenzlau JM, Greenbaum CJ, Bingley PJ, Krischer JP, Sosenko JM, Skyler JS, Eisenbarth GS, Mahon JL; for the Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Study Group. 2012. Zinc Transporter-8 Autoantibodies Improve Prediction of Type 1 Diabetes in Relatives Positive for the Standard Biochemical Autoantibodies. Diabetes care. 35:1213-8.
- Yu L, Dong F, Fuse M, Miao D, Fouts A, Hutton JC, and Steck AK. Diabetes Care Proinsulin/Insulin Autoantibodies Measured with Electrochemiluminescent Assay Are the Earliest Indicator of Prediabetic Islet Autoimmunity. Diabetes Care, 2013; In Press
To access a more complete listing of publications, please go to PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
and use the search term Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes or enter individual author names.
Please direct inquiries to specific e-mail addresses listed within individual entries. For all other general Research inquiries, please contact:firstname.lastname@example.org