Principal Investigator: Peter Gottlieb, COMIRB # : 07-0165
The ATG Research Study is looking for people newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
This research study will use the medication ATG to see if we can change the immune system to maintain the body’s ability to produce some insulin.
Why should you consider this study?
When you are first diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes you still make some insulin.
1. Over time, your body will lose the ability to make this insulin.
2. This study will use a medication to try to keep your body making its own insulin.
3. While your body continues to make its own insulin, your diabetes will be easier to control.
4. Continued production of some insulin can decrease the risk for long term complications of type 1 diabetes.
Who can sign up for this study?
1. People recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes within the past 6 weeks.
2. 12 years old - 35 years old.
What will happen in this study?
1. You will be assessed for general health and diabetes care.
2. If you qualify, you will receive one 4-day treatment with study medication or fake medication.
3. You will be monitored for 2-5 years to look at your overall diabetes health.
Who should I call with questions or to schedule an appointment?