March 14, 2016 - The University of Colorado School of Medicine has been ranked 11th nationally in primary care in U.S. News & World Report.
The publication released its annual survey today. Each year it ranks medical schools in two broad categories – primary care and research. In this year’s rankings, the University of Colorado School of Medicine ranked No. 35 as a research institution.
In addition to the broader categories, U.S. News also ranks specific programs in medical schools and health care disciplines. CU ranked high in several categories:
4th in Pediatrics
- 5th in Family Medicine
- 5th in Physician Assistant Program
- 6th in Rural Medicine
- 15th in Physical Therapy Program
The school’s ranking in the magazine’s research category changed several years ago when its Department of Preventive Medicine was merged into the Colorado School of Public Health. As a result, some grants and functions that are used to establish the U.S. News rankings were reassigned to the school of public health and are no longer considered in ranking the School of Medicine in the research category.
Rankings for other schools and colleges at Anschutz Medical Campus include:
- 6th Informatics
- 8th Nurse Practitioner Pediatric, Primary Care
- 21st Doctor of Nursing Practice
- 22nd Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 23rd Nursing Master's Degree
In separate rankings, two Anschutz Medical Campus hospitals also were highly rated.
In 2016, University of Colorado Hospital broke into U.S. News & World Report's Honor Roll, which includes the top 20 hospitals in the U.S. (More information →) Nationally, (out of nearly 5,000 hospitals surveyed) UCH ranked in 10 adult specialties including:
- 2: Pulmonology
- 14: Diabetes and endocrinology
- 15: Kidney disorders
- 22: Cancer
- 22: Gastroenterology and gastrointestinal surgery
- 32: Gynecology
- 36: Geriatrics
- 42: Cardiology and heart surgery
- 42: Orthopedics
- 43: Neurology and neurosurgery
Children's Hospital Colorado's was one of 11 pediatric hospitals to make the Best Children's Hospitals Honor Roll out of 183 hospitals. Children's ranked in all 10 pediatric specialty areas:
- 4th in Diabetes and Endocrine Disorders
- 7th in Orthopedics
- 9th in Cancer Care
- 10th in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
- 12th in Pulmonology
- 15th in Neurology and Neurosurgery
- 15th in Cardiology and Heart Surgery
- 25th in Urology
- 26th in Neonatology
- 36th Nephrology
Affiliate institute National Jewish Health was ranked 2nd in respiratory care with UCH.