and integrate emerging trends in health care
2. Utilize critical thinking to evaluate and integrate best
research outcomes with clinical expertise and patient values for evidence-based
professional decisions that satisfy legal, societal and
4. Use self-evaluative skills to assess individual knowledge
and abilities, to practice within the scope of one’s competence and make
appropriate professional referrals, and to identify areas of deficiency to
correct through lifelong learning.
5. Collaborate effectively with other health professionals to
facilitate the provision of overall health care.
and Interpersonal Skills
6. Apply appropriate interpersonal and communication skills to
create a humanistic environment.
7. Communicate effectively with diverse patients and other
health care providers to ensure appropriate, patient-centered patient treatment.
prevention, intervention and educational strategies.
9. Participate with dental team members and other health care
professionals in the management and health promotion for all patients.
and appreciate the need to contribute to the improvement of oral
those served in traditional practice settings.
Management and Informatics
11. Evaluate and apply regulatory agency requirements for dental
practices such as infection control, HIPAA and environmental and office safety
principles of risk management including informed consent
13. Demonstrate effective business practices, financial
management and human resource skills
Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
14. Perform an examination that collects biological,
psychological, clinical, radiographic and other diagnostic/consultative
information required to evaluate the health, oral conditions, needs, and
expectations of patients of all ages.
15. Recognize, diagnose and interpret normal and abnormal
conditions of the orofacial complex (to include oral cancer), occlusal and
temporomandibular disease, craniofacial growth and development that require
monitoring, treatment or management.
16. Develop, present and discuss individual sequenced treatment
plans for patients of all ages consistent with patient’s condition, interest,
goals and capabilities.
Maintenance of a Healthy Oral Environment
of Emergency Situations
17. Anticipate, diagnose, and provide initial treatment and
follow-up management for medical emergencies that may occur during dental
18. Recognize and manage dental emergencies to include acute
pain, hemorrhage, trauma, and infection of the orofacial complex
of Pain and Anxiety
19. Employ pharmacological agents and techniques to manage
orofacial discomfort and psychological distress
20. Diagnose, treatment plan, comprehensively treat, and maintain
patients with periodontal disease in the primary, mixed, and permanent
21. Diagnose and treat diseases of pulpal and periradicular
origin in the primary, mixed, and permanent dentitions
Surgical and Non-Surgical
22. Diagnose and treat conditions requiring reparative surgical
procedures and non-surgical therapies on the hard and oral soft tissues
23. Provide single or multiple tooth restorations, with
appropriate fixed or removable techniques, to restore anatomic form, function,
and esthetics to patients of all ages.
analyze the outcomes of patient treatment to improve patient care.