Global Energy Management: Application Information & Tuition Information
The GEM Program accepts experienced professionals who are looking to advance their career in the energy industry. GEM is a rigorous graduate program; therefore, the admissions committee highly favors candidates who demonstrate the ability and drive to successfully complete their Masters of Science (MS) in Global Energy Management.
Ideal candidates have five years of professional experience and demonstrate positions of increasing responsibility. Most GEM students are currently working in the energy industry; however, the program does accept non-energy professionals who are looking to transition their career into this dynamic and growing sector.
Cohort & Part-time Students
Cohort and part-time GEM students have two possible start date options during a calendar year, either January or July.
- December 15th for all January starts
- June 15th for all July starts
If you are a domestic student (U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident):
If you are an international student:
- Online application with four essay questions
- $50 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- Two copies of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- GMAT scores (if needed, see additional information below)
International applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Two certified copies of “official” academic records from each college or university and/or professional schools attended should be submitted to the university. These official academic records should include courses completed, grades or marks obtained and certificates or degrees awarded. If documents are not in English, they must be translated by a certified translator. The translation must be literal and no conversion of grades should be attempted by the translator.
International applicants must also meet the English language proficiency requirement —you must meet this requirement in one of the following ways:
- Submit TOEFL score that meets the minimum requirements of: 71 (IBT) or 525 (PBT).
- Submit IELTS score that meets the minimum requirement of: 6.0.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are not required to take the TOEFL test if they have completed a baccalaureate or graduate-level degree program at an English speaking college or university or have completed at least 2 semesters at a college or university in the United States as a full-time student and obtained a “B” average (3.0 GPA) or higher.
- Successfully complete CU Denver’s NEW English asa Second Language (ESL) Program and submit a recommendation letter from the program.
Students with significant experience in the energy industry may not have to take the GMAT for admission into the GEM program. The chart below provides information on whether or not you are required to take the GMAT. If you already have your graduate degree in another discipline, you are automatically waived from the GMAT requirement.
|3 - 5
||Can apply for a GEM waiver|
|0 - 3
|Already earned a graduate degree
GMAT Waiver Process
Applicants with 3-5 years of experience in the energy industry can petition the admissions committee requesting a waiver from the GMAT requirement.
- One (1) page letter petitioning the admissions committee to waive the GMAT test
Include how undergraduate and work experience in the energy industry has positions you to be successful in the GEM program
- Current resume
- Copy of either an unofficial or official transcript from a degree granting institution
- Email the above documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
The admissions committee will inform you within one week of receiving all documents the decision on the GMAT waiver.
Professional Development and Certification Courses (Non-degree Seeking Applicants)
The non-degree seeking program is for energy professionals who are not seeking an MS in Global Energy Management but would like to enroll in individual GEM courses (up to 9 credits). It is also an option for students enrolled in another graduate degree program other than GEM and who want to use GEM courses as an elective. This option is only available to applicants who have already earned a bachelor’s degree. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.
The following are the application requirements needed in order to take a GEM course as non-degree seeking student:
- Part I and II of Non-Degree Application for Admission
- $50 Application fee
- Copy of unofficial transcripts from a degree granting institution
(3.0 GPA and completed undergraduate degree required).
- Current resume
- Brief paragraph (200 words) stating how enrolling in GEM courses will help you reach your career goals