More than ever before, major companies and entrepreneurial ventures are seeking competitive advantage and success by embracing sustainability — social and environmental responsibility — as a core business strategy. Farsighted leaders recognize that this new way of doing business requires skills in sustainable management including social entrepreneurialism, eco-efficiency, inter-disciplinary problem solving and a triple bottom line approach of economics, environment and society.
Make your degree a green MBA by adding the Managing for Sustainability specialization and learn what businesses are facing in a world where resources are scarce, social safety nets are declining, and customers and commentators are concerned about a company's investment in corporate responsibility.
There are alternative ways to reduce the negative impact of economic activities through:
- sustainable finance and accounting
- corporate social responsibility
- social entrepreneurship
- green marketing
- carbon and climate management
Examine the role of business in fostering the long-term health and viability of communities, the environment and the company.
Complete four of the following courses:
- Managing for Sustainability MGMT6821
- Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility MGMT6822
- Sustainable Business Opportunity MGMT6823
- Accounting & Finance for Sustainability BUSN6800
- Business and the Natural Environment BUSN6830
- Marketing and Sustainability MKTG6830
- Supply Chain Management BUSN6826
- Sustainable Management Research ENTP6800
- Global Climate Change INTB/BUSN6870
- Exploring Social Entrepreneurship ENTP6642
- Social Entrepreneurship in the Developing World ENTP6644
- Sustainable Business/Corporate Social Responsibility MGMT6824
- Internship/Field Study MGMT5939
One course may be taken outside the Business School from a school or college offering courses in sustainability by petition only.
An internship/field study focused on sustainability can also substitute for one of the elective courses by petition only.
Courses are campus-based, online or hybrid (a combination of in class and online work).