The MBA in Health Administration requires that you complete a minimum of 51 semester hours of courses based on a series of structured learning sequences.
You will need to meet with your graduate advisor when you are admitted to the MBA in Health Administration program to plan your schedule before your register for your first semester of classes. Many health courses are offered once a year and your advisor can help you design your schedule accordingly.
Core healthcare courses may include subjects such as:
- Managing Individuals and Teams
- Data Analysis
- Legal and Ethical Environment of Business
- Analyzing and Interpreting Accounting Information
- Marketing Management
- Financial Management
- Strategic Management
Some of these courses may be waived based based on a course-by-course basis. Contact your advisor for details.
Healthcare courses may include subjects such as:
- Health Care Systems
- Health Care Financial Management
- Quality and Process Improvement
- International Health Policy & Management
Inforamation systems courses may include subjects such as:
- Health Information Technology
- Fundamentals of Health Information Technology
Further Health Administration Courses
You may take more health courses which may include subjects such as:
- Transformational Leadership
- Profiles in Health care
- Visionary Leadership
- Health Travel Study
If you would like to add a specialization to your MBA in Health Administration, please refer to the specializations requirements for your coursework. Be sure you are signed up for the specialization with your graduate advisor first.
Specialization courses are to be taken in addition to the MBA in Health Administration core courses listed in the Core Courses tab.
Financial Health Management
The Financial Health Management specialization is designed for the student who is either working in the finance area of a health care organization or who wants to enter the health care field through the finance and/or accounting area.
Health Information Technology Management
Recently, the health care industry has shifted its focus from using proprietary and expensive IT solutions to more innovative IT applications, such as using e-marketplaces for procurement of supplies and sharing information effectively to help manage healthcare crisis.
International Health Management and Policy
The International Health Management and Policy specialization is designed for students who have an interest in working with healthcare organizations who have a global or international focus on health issues.
The administrative residency/fellowship was established to provide a training program, which contributes to your growth and development as a manager in health and medical care organizations.
Your residency/fellowship program is usually a one to two year management experience. You will have an opportunity to apply specific graduate principles in the practical work setting. You will be able to test both your interests and skills in a variety of disciplines before you make a long-term career choices.
Past residencies/fellowships held by University of Colorado Denver Business School students include:
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Pasadena, Calif.
- VA Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Lakeland Regional Medical Center, Lakeland, Fla.
- Rose Medical Center, Denver, Colo.
- Swedish Medical Center, Englewood, Colo.
- Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, N.C.
- Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center, Denver, Colo.
- University Hospital, Denver, Colo.
- Hospital Shared Services of Colorado, Denver, Colo.
- Poudre Valley Hospital, Fort Collins, Colo.
- The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas
- Kaiser Permanente, Denver, Colo.
- Aurora Presbyterian Hospital, Aurora, Colo.
- Longmont United Hospital, Longmont, Colo.
- Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.
- HealthOne, Denver, Colo.
- Samaritan Health Services, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Briarwood Health Center, Denver, Colo.
- Harris Methodist Health Systems, Ft. Worth, Texas
- FHP Int., Englewood, Colo.
- Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, Kan.
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Portsmouth Regional Hospital, Portsmouth, N.H.