- MBA, University of New Orleans
- MA Sociology, University of New Orleans
- MS Psychology (industrial/organizational emphasis), Tulane University
- BS, Cum Laude, Psychology Louisiana State University
- Financial Accounting ACCT2200
- Managerial Accounting ACCT2220
- Principles of Finance FNCE3000
- Introduction to Risk Management and Insurance FNCE3809
- Analyzing And Interpreting Accounting Information BUSN6550
- Financial Management BUSN6640
- Intro To Personal Financial Planning For Individuals And Self-Employed Entrepreneurs
Here's how finance students have described this instructor’s approach to teaching:
“Mr. Eric has amazing presence in class – always engaging and interesting.” (BUSN 6640, Spring 2011 FCQ comment) “Who knew finance could be this fun!” (BUSN 6640, Spring 2011 FCQ comment)
“The tests are excruciating. Despite the level of difficulty, Mr. Eric is an exceptional instructor.” (BUSN 6640, Summer 2010 FCQ comment)
“The ONLY [online] instructor I have had that took the time to video tape lectures and prepare students for exams by providing them with the notes necessary to do well on them.” (FNCE 3000 On-Line, Spring 2010 FCQ comment)
This is what accounting students have said:
“I’m exiting the course with a lot of concrete knowledge I didn’t have upon entering that I can use in my business. We literally used every minute of class time.” (BUSN 6550, Spring 2011 FCQ comment)
“He wants everyone to succeed but really pushes us. He demands success from us but is very willing to help us achieve that.” (BUSN 6550, Spring 2010 FCQ comment)
“I expected accounting to be boring and dry and was definitely surprised. Mr. Eric does a great job explaining the material and making sure everyone understands. He also makes the class entertaining so that it is easy to stay focused on the lecture. This was probably the best course I have ever taken.” (BUSN 6550, Spring 2011 FCQ comment)
Raised on the edge of New Orleans surrounded by a swamp full of catfish and water moccasins, Eric Reiner received his MBA three weeks after turning 22. He began professional life as an accountant at a publicly traded company but then reinvented himself as a college teacher and freelance writer upon relocating to Colorado in 1991.
Along the way he launched his own tax-accounting practice, which he operated for 25 years, and he was also involved in the music and entertainment industries for 15 years. That stint included managing Boulder’s tuxedoed violin-and-guitar duo Watson & Edge (later Watson & Company) as well as hosting a weekday-morning talk-radio show in Boulder as “Mr. Eric,” a handle students still know him by. In 1995 he began contributing entertainment articles to The Denver Post and soon thereafter the Albuquerque Journal. The long list of musicians he interviewed over the ensuing decade includes the composers of such enduring rock classics as “Come Sail Away,” “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper,” “I Can’t Fight This Feeling” and “I Want You To Want Me,” along with Nashville stars Kenny Chesney and Travis Tritt, plus metal gods Lemmy (of Motorhead) and the late Ronnie James Dio.
Since students often ask -
Favorite Southern Rock Bands: The Marshall Tucker Band , Lynyrd Skynyrd (original and late-‘90s/early-‘00s line-ups), Molly Hatchet, Atlanta Rhythm Section
Favorite Colorado Artists: Big Head Todd & The Monsters, Chuck “Spirit of Colorado” Pyle, Poco, The Samples
Mr. Reiner is currently a contributing editor with two magazines for practitioners, Financial Advisor and Private Wealth.
- “Pension Cash-Outs Are Coming.” Financial Advisor, August 2011.
- “You Make The Call: The Decision To Go Roth Is Anything But Clear.” Financial Advisor, Nov. 2009.
- “Hedging Your Bets: Hedge Funds And Their Mutual Fund Knock-Offs Challenge Advisors.” Financial Advisor, April 2008.
Tax and Estate Planning
- “Biding Time: The 2010 Tax Relief Act Offers Opportunities For Clients And Prolonged Uncertainty For Advisors.” Financial Advisor, March 2011.
- “Just Do It: With Greater Uncertainty Than Ever Surrounding The Estate Tax, Washington Must Act Soon.” Financial Advisor, March 2010.
Financial Industry/Professional Issues
- “Built On Success: Silvercrest Asset Management Group Was Built On Many Of The Principles Honed At Bygone Investment Bank Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette.” Private Wealth, Jan.-Feb. 2011 cover story.
- “Beyond Satisfied: Federal Street Advisors Makes A Habit Of Helping Its Wealth Clients Reach Their Investing And Philanthropic Goals.” Private Wealth, Sept.-Oct. 2010 cover story.
- “IRS To Regulate All Tax Preparers.” Financial Advisor, March 2010.
- “Chasing Change: Players Come and Go As the Life Settlement Marketplace Races Towards Maturity.” Private Wealth, June–July 2008.