Associate Professor of Accounting
- Advanced Auditing (MS Accounting course), focusing on forensic accounting and audit sampling
- Accounting Theory (MS Accounting course)
- Accounting Concepts for Managerial Control (MBA financial and managerial accounting)
- Analysis of Financial Statement Presentation (financial accounting for finance majors)
- Principles of Accounting
- Associate Professor, The Business School, University of Colorado Denver, 2006 present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Accounting, Florida State University, 1999-2006
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, 2004-2005 academic year
Education and Certification
- PhD in Accounting, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, 1999
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting with Honors, University of Florida, Gainesville, 1983
- Certified Public Accountant, Florida, License is active, 1984-present
- “Client Stock Market Reaction to PCAOB Sanctions against a Big Four Auditor.” With Ayalew Lulseged and Tianming Zhang. Conditional acceptance at Contemporary Accounting Research.
- “No News is Bad News: Market Reaction to Reasons Given for Late Filing of Form 10-K.” With William Hillison and Carl Pacini. Research in Accounting Regulation (forthcoming). Won the “Best Paper Award” at the 2008 AAA Southeast Regional meeting.
- “Return of the Tallahassee Beancounters: A Case in Forensic Accounting.” With Cindy Durtschi. Issues in Accounting Education (forthcoming).
- “Environmental costs and obligations for oil and gas firms: A five-year perspective.” With Mimi Alciatore. Oil, Gas, and Energy Quarterly (forthcoming).
- “A tale of two cities.” With Mimi Alciatore. Oil, Gas, and Energy Quarterly (forthcoming).
- “An International Comparison of Equity Valuation Models: Hong Kong, Singapore, and Japan.” With Meihua Koo. 2009. International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance 1 (July): 48-60.
- “Asset retirement obligations for oil and gas companies: Issues and evidence.” With Mimi Alciatore and Peter Easton. 2008. Oil, Gas, and Energy Quarterly LVII: 327-334.
- “Prominent audit clients and the relation between discretionary accruals and non-audit service fees.” With Ayalew Lulseged and Tanya Nowlin. 2006. Advances in Accounting 22: 129-155.
- “The current status of environmental reporting: An analysis of petroleum firms' disclosures.” With Mimi Alciatore. 2006. Advances in Environmental Accounting and Management 3: 49-75.
- “Executive compensation and risk: The case of internet firms.” With Ayalew Lulseged and Tanya Nowlin. 2005. Journal of Corporate Finance 12: 80-96.
- “Changes in environmental regulation and reporting from 1989 to 1998: The case of the petroleum industry.” With Mimi Alciatore and Peter Easton. 2004. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 23: 295-304.
- “The relation between disaggregated restructuring charges and stock returns: The effects of financial distress.” With Darlene Anderson. 2004. Journal of Applied Business Research 20: 1-18.
- “Asset write-downs: A decade of research.” With Mimi Alciatore, Peter Easton, and Nasser Spear. 1998. Journal of Accounting Literature 17: 1-39.
Publication (Editor Reviewed)
- “More Bang for the Audit Buck.” With William Hillison. 2006. Journal of Corporate Accounting and Finance 17 (May/June): 17-23.
- “Acquirers’ Abnormal Returns, Acquirer Size, and the Auditor Clientele Effect.” With Ayalew Lulseged and James Nelson. Presented (by Ayalew Lulseged) at the American Accounting Association (AAA) Annual meeting in August, 2009.
- “Additional Evidence on the Value Relevance of the Foreign Currency Translation Adjustment.” With Ayalew Lulseged and Richard Morton. Presented (by Ayalew Lulseged) at the 2009 International Accounting Section Meeting of the American Accounting Association.
- “Accounting for Asset Retirement Obligations.” With Mimi Alciatore and Peter Easton. Currently revising.
Work in Progress
- “The impact of the PCAOB inspection reports on the perceived quality of non-Big 4 auditors.” With Gary Colbert and Ayalew Lulseged.
- “Client auditor choice, audit fees and spin-offs.” With Ayalew Lulseged and Tianming Zhang.
- “Earnings management around repurchases and auditor quality.” With Ayalew Lulseged and Tianming Zhang.
- “An Empirical Test of the Free Cash Flow Theory.” With Mimi Alciatore and Ron Singer.
- “The mediating effect of audit committee independence on the bankruptcy predicting accuracy of the auditor’s going concern opinion.” With Ayalew Lulseged and James Nelson.