Thank you for your interest in the Counseling program at the University of Colorado Denver School of Education & Human Development.
January 15 for summer and fall semester
September 15 for spring semester
Step 1. Prepare your materials. The School of Education & Human Development accepts all applications online. Please review the information below to prepare for the application process. Your application will include:
- Current resume or curriculum vita (please include all teaching and/or other educational certificates held and the state that issued them)
- Written Statement. See guidelines.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be from present or former employers, coworkers, etc. Recommendations should not be more than two years old. The recommenders are sent an email with a link to the recommendation form. When a recommender submits the form, we receive an email notifying us that a recommendation has been submitted on your behalf. The recommendation includes a space for your recommender to cut and paste their recommendation.
- One official transcript from every previous college/university attended
Please submit transcripts from (a) institutions granting previous degrees and (b) institutions from which courses have been taken that you wish to transfer into the program. Transcripts should be issued to you, collected by you, and subsequently sent to the School of Education & Human Development in the original, unopened envelopes. Instructions on where to mail transcripts are provided in the application.
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogy Test (MAT) scores. GRE or MAT scores are required for the Counseling program unless you already hold a graduate degree. If you are taking the GRE, the code number for CU Denver is 4875. The scores will be sent electronically to CU Denver.
- $50 application fee for domestic students , $75 application fee for International Students (may be paid via credit card, e-check, or by mailing in a check)
Important Information regarding fingerprinting! Please note that admitted students will not be authorized to register for classes until you pass a background check. It is HIGHLY advisable that you complete this requirement as early as possible and as a part of the application process as it can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks for results of background checks to be reported. Academic Services will verify this requirement has been satisfied upon admission. Failure to complete and pass the fingerprinting process may delay your matriculation into this program. Please follow the link below for instructions on how to submit fingerprints.
To check to see if your fingerprints have been reported to the Colorado Department of Education, please go to the link below.
Use your Social Security number and Date of Birth to confirm that your fingerprint requirement has been met by Colorado Department of Education. Once CDE has received satisfactory fingerprint results from Colorado Bureau of Investigation the top of the page will display “Fingerprint Requirement: Met.”
Step 2. Submit your application. Your application must be submitted online. Please visit the link below to set up your user name and password to access the online application.
Once you complete the new user registration, you will receive the following two emails from email@example.com:
- The first email contains your password for record and verification purposes.
- The second email contains your username for record and verification purposes.
Step 3. Monitor your email. All communication regarding the status of your application, questions we may have, as well as admissions decisions will be sent to the email address you provide to us.
Upon successful completion and review of your file, qualified applicants are invited to attend a REQUIRED half-day interview on the Denver campus approximately one month after the deadline date. During this interview, applicants will be oriented to the program, participate in small group interviews, large group exercises, and will engage in a spontaneous writing assignment. Participation in the interview is mandatory and you will not be accepted into the program without attending. We do not conduct individual interviews for admission to our program. Final selection of the applicants will be based on their performance in the interview.
Please note: the ONLY items that we will accept as hard copies are official transcripts and paper checks. All other required materials must be submitted electronically within the online application.
For more information or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.