Initiated by the Center in the spring of 2003, DVRAC is a coalition of practitioners, survivors, and researchers that work to promote research as a tool for activism. The coalition encourages participatory community-based research and supports initiatives that emphasize both practical and academic application of knowledge about domestic violence.
The DVRAC vision:
- Promote quality research on domestic violence and secure funds for research efforts and forums or conferences to bring together top domestic and family violence researchers.
- Build research and service collaborations between the domestic violence practice and research communities on a local and national level.
- Encourage dialogue about, and response to, the potential uses and abuses of research to anti-violence movement work and
- Explore and celebrate effective ways to garner and use science based knowledge to prevent and respond to domestic violence.
- Asking the Right Questions – Creating a domestic violence research agenda for Colorado. Conducting focus groups across Colorado with the goal of creating a domestic violence research agenda for Colorado. Click here for more information.
- Research Symposium – Brings DVRAC members together to hear the latest research findings, share information, and provide feedback. The last symposium was titled “Current Intimate Partner Violence Research in Colorado” and featured researchers from the University of Colorado, the University of Denver, and Colorado College.
- Research Track – Held during the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence’s bi-annual conferences, DVRAC holds five workshops on research studies attracting over 200 participants. The 2008 track, held in Washington DC, was titled Research as a Tool for Social Justice and included five workshops: Research in the Field of Criminal Justice, Community Collaborations, The National Shelter Study and National Census, Heath Care Providers Responding to Domestic Violence, and the Effectiveness of Differentiated Treatment for Domestic Violence Offenders in Colorado.
- DVRAF – The Domestic Violence Research and Action Forum is a listserv that connects and informs members across the country. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.