SPA Concentration Areas
Both the Master of Public Administration and Master of Criminal Justice programs offer students the opportunity to select a concentration area within the degree. Approximately one-half of our graduate students select and complete a specific concentration, while the remaining students will choose electives from a variety of concentration areas to best meet their professional goals.
Four courses (12 credits) are usually required to complete a concentration and concentration courses are used to satisfy the electives requirement of the SPA master’s degree. Students may select a concentration area on their CU Denver graduate application or may select a concentration after enrolling in courses at SPA.
Students interested in pursuing a concentration area should meet with their faculty advisor to seek approval for their elective courses and receive advice on other concentration requirements.
SPA Graduate Certificates
SPA offers a variety of graduate certificates to help individuals advance their career. Any individual who has completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university is eligible to enroll in a SPA graduate certificate program.
Graduate certificates include:
The majority of students pursuing a graduate certificate have earned a graduate degree in another field and pursue a certificate to gain expertise in a specific policy or management area within public affairs.
SPA graduate certificates follow the curriculum of our concentration areas or, for those seeking a Certified Public Manager designation, the requirements for the CPM program.
Requirements & Application:
- Graduate certificates on the Denver campus require five courses (15 credit hours).
- To apply, fill out the CU Denver non-degree application and submit it with an application fee ($50) and a copy of your undergraduate transcript.
- Please send application documents to Dawn Savage (if your last name begins with A – K) or Antoinette Sandoval (if you last name begins with L – Z).
- The CU Denver address is: Campus Box 142, PO Box 173364 Denver, CO 80217.
- If you decide to use credits from a graduate certificate toward a MPA or MCJ degree at CU Denver, you must be accepted as a degree-seeking student before completing more than nine credit hours.
- Graduate Certificate Student Info Form
Certified Public Manager Program
SPA also offers a national certification program for public managers that consists of 12 modules conducted via weekend seminars or through an online format.
Visit the Colorado Certified Public Manager Program page for more information on the certificate program.
Sustainable Urban Infrastructure Certificate