Gary Lichtenstein, Ed.D.
- Prevention of obesity in children and adults
- Community-based research
- Refugee integration
- Engineering education
- Mixed methods research
Current Research Projects:
- Colorado Health Foundation: Healthy Eaters, Lifelong Movers (HELM) (2010-2013): The HELM Project partners with 57 K-12 underserved, rural, low-income Colorado schools to implement evidence-based, school-level environment and policy changes to increase student access to healthy foods, physical activity opportunities, and quality physical education. Two evidence-based processes are being implemented with the goal of creating a cycle of lifelong movers and healthy eaters. Twenty-four elementary schools (14 in the San Luis Valley and 10 in Eastern Colorado) will participate in the AIM strategic planning process that results in schools implementing environment and policy changes that increase opportunities for physical activity and healthy eating. All 47 K-12 schools in the San Luis Valley will participate in the San Luis Valley Physical Education Academy, which provides professional development, SPARK equipment and curriculum materials; communities of practice; and site coordinator support to improve the quality of PE and help students establish a habit of lifelong physical activity.
- University of California, Berkeley, BA, Rhetoric, 1983
- Stanford University, MA, Education Administration & Policy, 1992
- Stanford University, EdD, 1997